Hiwassee River grand slam

Soft Talker

Not the least bit interested in any type of "slam", but thought it was pretty cool to catch a Rainbow, Brown, and Brook trout all in the same day. They finally cut the flow back and me and the old man went up river yesterday and caught the piss out of them. Mostly stockers, but a few nice Browns up to 15in. and one Brook trout that was every bit of 14in. Beautiful fish, all of them, but that Brook trout was something else. Unfortunately left the phone in the truck. Not smart enough to post pics anyway:). Finess fishing trout magnets on a set of 8ft custom spinners I had a buddy back home build us. 2lb test. Not fly fishing I know, but fun. I'll fish a couple Rainbows alive throughout the summer when the Rockfish move up river, but all of these were turned back yesterday.

Crow Terminator

I went up there myself when I saw the water release chart. I didn't catch anything but little tiny rainbows. These I caught were little 8-9 inch fish. After moving to a few holes and seeing the size was about the same, I loaded up and left.

Soft Talker

I went up there myself when I saw the water release chart. I didn't catch anything but little tiny rainbows. These I caught were little 8-9 inch fish. After moving to a few holes and seeing the size was about the same, I loaded up and left.
Lots of stockers sure nuff, but there was some decent holdover fish to be caught as well. Went back yesterday and did not do as good. Fished most of the same holes. Figured I had put a hook in most the day before:)

Crow Terminator

Hiwassee is a smaller version of the White as far as terrain and scenery goes but two different animals as far as fishing and quality of fish. I caught rainbow, brown, and brook trout at the White but I was missing the Cutthroat and Tiger trout. My nephew caught all 5 out there. They stocked Cutthroats in the Hiwassee last year but I've not caught one yet. I took my buddy up there to show him some spots and a Cutthroat was the first trout he caught. Go figure.

Ruger, for you, you're probably halfway between the White and Hiwassee driving time wise. If I were in your spot, I'd go to Arkansas every time over the Hiwassee unless you just wanted to see new water. But...if you wanted to hit the Hiwassee and the yellow perch lake out here, you could get both in one swoop, as they are only about 30-40 mins from one another.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ruger, for you, you're probably halfway between the White and Hiwassee driving time wise. If I were in your spot, I'd go to Arkansas every time over the Hiwassee unless you just wanted to see new water. But...if you wanted to hit the Hiwassee and the yellow perch lake out here, you could get both in one swoop, as they are only about 30-40 mins from one another.
A buddy of mine told me the same thing about going to Arkansas. LOL

I would love to do that some day for sure.

7mm08

ARKANSAS all day. Their DNR should be hired by the TN license holders to manage the trout waters in this state.

In my next life I want to come back a cold water fisheries " manager" in TN. DO NOTHING, draw a check , draw a retirement check!

Latest posts