Fishing Hiwassee River above the Powerhouse

gecko7

Is there any decent fishing on the Hiwassee above the powerhouse where Hwy 68 crosses the river? I assume it may have smallmouth bass and other warm water species but can find no information. I plan on being in the area in May. Thanks for any info.

JN

Smallmouth and trout during colder months. My dad use to fish it a lot back in the 80's and loved the remoteness of it. I fished it a few times with him in the 90's but preferred below powerhouse. Mainly because I wanted to fish now and not have to walk for an hour.

gecko7

Smallmouth and trout during colder months. My dad use to fish it a lot back in the 80's and loved the remoteness of it. I fished it a few times with him in the 90's but preferred below powerhouse. Mainly because I wanted to fish now and not have to walk for an hour.
Thanks for the information!

CATCHDAWG

Above the powerhouse and where hwy 68 meets the river are two totally different locations. Very limited access or I should probably say, it can be difficult to get to good water unless your very "adventurous". Good smallmouth fishing at either area though.
I'll also add that after spending my entire life roaming those mountains, that's the most copperhead and rattlesnake infested area I've ever been in. Use caution!

gecko7

Above the powerhouse and where hwy 68 meets the river are two totally different locations. Very limited access or I should probably say, it can be difficult to get to good water unless your very "adventurous". Good smallmouth fishing at either area though.
I'll also add that after spending my entire life roaming those mountains, that's the most copperhead and rattlesnake infested area I've ever been in. Use caution!
Thanks for the info.

Latest posts