Hit a yankee camp yesterday...

Crow Terminator

Well the weather was just too nice and I ain't got around to buying my sportsmans licenses as of yet, so I couldn't go fishing. I had the itch to head out and dig some relics.

Went to one of my VERY pounded yankee camp sites. I have exclusive permission for the place, some 600 acres of it. And it's just on the outskirts of the main camp, but no doubt the soldiers passed over it and from my indications of it, some might have had small camps on it. With relic hunting big areas of land, you'll come to note that you find stuff in little spots. Just because you go and hunt a place once or twice and don't find anything or anything much...don't mean there ain't anything there to find. His 600 acres is divided into several fields and hard woods. Some of the fields I can dig in, and some I can't. Well here, just look at this one picture of the site:

313a.jpg

You're looking at the site of a winter encampment. Well this field goes on for a LONG ways. The road is the border of the field, which is in the right of the picture. The graveyard is also on his property although I NEVER have dug around it and for good reason. It just ain't right. But anyway...back to what I was talking about. When I first hunted this place, my uncle was with me. He took off across this field and hunted a strip with his detector and never found anything. For a long time I never even hunted the field anymore, just going by his not finding nothing. But you see...this little flat area I'm standing in....from where I am, out to where those cows are (that black spot way off) and from the road to the base of the hill on the left...well somehow my uncle walked through there and never dug anything. I was walking though there actually trying to get to another field and was walking pretty fast with the detector still on and lazily sweeping as I walked. Got a signal...dug a drop bullet. Slowed down and next thing I know, in that little strip I just described I have since dug probably 30 drop bullets, 4 pulled bullets, 10 eagle buttons, 1 REALLY good button valued in dug condition to be around $250, and 1 staff officers button. Plus other camp items. So you see...this is one of those "spots" that ya just stumble into every now and then.

Going back to yesterday's hunt. Here's a purdy sight to see in your dirt pile. It wound up being a yankee eagle I button. Every other one I've found on this site has been a plain shield button, this is the first one with the I in the shield from here:

313.jpg

And the group shot. Not much to look at in numbers or quality, but for a site that I have literally gridded off in search lines and hunted that way with 4 or 5 very high end model detectors MYSELF...that's pretty good squeezins. That Fisher F-75 rocks!!

313b.jpg

Latest posts