Hi there

Van A Short

I am 77 years old in June .Due to that and medical reasons my deer hunting days are behind me. Moved to Tennesee for medical treatment in 2013 from Blacksburg area of Virginia. For many years I worked as a commercial beekeeper for honey production. Served in Vietnam with B Troop 1/9, 1'st Cav Airmoble. Disabled retired. Graduate Virginia Tech. Am in process of purchasing an 1874 in 45/70 from Shiloh Sharps for my nephew. I will not be able to shoot it because of the recoil...brittle bones......I think I could get by shooting a 45/65. Have never shot a 40/65 so if any one has something to say about the recoil I would l would like to hear it. I am somewhat knowledgeabe about reloading up close to benchrest level. Was also into cycling....little rusty on that now but in past built two bikes. Also was a Virginia Hunter Safety instructer for many years. For past 4 to 5 months have been learning all I can about shooting BPCR.

Rancocas

Hi Van. Welcome
I'm also a Vietnam vet. Navy. I was a navigator on a destroyer, off the coast, blowing things up for you guys on shore. I'll be 73 in a couple more months. Still hunting, a little. Got a nice 6 pt. buck last season. Got skunked on turkeys this spring. Didn't even hear a gobble. Spring squirrel season is open now and I have been picking off a few.
I have my modern guns, but I have been a traditional muzzleloader since the mid 1980's. Flintlock and percussion are all I have hunted with for over 25 years now.
I've long been interested in BPCR, but have not gotten into it. The old .38-55 intrigues me. I watched a guy at the shooting range one time with a Win. hi-wall in .38-55 shooting targets out at 300 yards. I think that is really long range for that cartridge.

Van A Short

Hi Van. Welcome
I'm also a Vietnam vet. Navy. I was a navigator on a destroyer, off the coast, blowing things up for you guys on shore. I'll be 73 in a couple more months. Still hunting, a little. Got a nice 6 pt. buck last season. Got skunked on turkeys this spring. Didn't even hear a gobble. Spring squirrel season is open now and I have been picking off a few.
I have my modern guns, but I have been a traditional muzzleloader since the mid 1980's. Flintlock and percussion are all I have hunted with for over 25 years now.
I've long been interested in BPCR, but have not gotten into it. The old .38-55 intrigues me. I watched a guy at the shooting range one time with a Win. hi-wall in .38-55 shooting targets out at 300 yards. I think that is really long range for that cartridge.
Glad your still able to get out there..I'll be 77 on the 24th. Able tp get to the range on occasion and If I could hunt it would be after squirrel.. Can you explain spring squirrel season to me.....I have only hunted one location where the population was high enought that I thought they could stand the pressure. Doesn't the spring hunt interfere with population increase.
I spent a lot of time on the computer educating my self about BPCR, mainly the 45/70 at firsr. One is on order from Shiloh Sharps for my nephew. I needed something with less recoil due to medical concerns and would have liked to have a 38/55 as it is fine for silhouette shooting and low recoil. It seems to me that each of these BPCR cartridges have their own idiosyncrasies and challenges. Information on the Shiloh Sharps chamber design was available. There is no SAAMI Spec for the 40/65, and even Shiloh has changed there design over the years. I didn't get that deep into the 38/55 but know exactly what you ae getting and have an idea of what brass, bullets, dies, neck expanders etc. are available. I was not going to cast bullets but to get what I want for the 40/65 it looks like I will have to. I believe there is a club which has BPCR matches somewhere NE of Nashville.