HHA sight-in technique (fixed pins as well)

TNDeerGuy

As with any type of technical instrument, the end product is only as good as the data inputed into it. For that reason, I would like to share a version of the typical sight in procedure. This method is used fairly commonly in the target community, but it is another thing that bleeds over to the hunting community--the first I heard of this was a couple of years ago in a thread on here from Bowhunter163 and Crow Terminator and they are responsible for my first introduction in "line shooting". I investigated further and got more information on the subject and decided to use the thin lines. Some people use electrical tape or other wide line, but a thinner line works better from my experience. A fellow member came over here this morning, and after we were done I think he found this quicker and more accurate and didn't have any problem aiming at the 1/4" line, even at 60yds.

What you will need is a piece of cardboard (large pizza box size will be fine), a giant Sharpie (1/4" line) and a square or something were you can draw a perfect "T" as shown in the pic. The T needs to be 12"x12" or bigger is fine too.

Shoot at the 1/4" horizontal line at 20yds until the arrows are within the 1/4" line as a group and the place your setup tape at whatever number you want and make a mark or note of that number, them move back to 40yds, adjust your sight until you are again splitting the line and making a note and mark the 40yd mark on the tape and then move back to 60, repeating tbe process. After you are splitting the line at 60, do the calculations and pick the corresponding tape. Place the actual tape and place it beside the sight in tape and compare the 20, 40 and 60yd marks matchup between the tapes. Since your last shot was at 60yds, go ahead and place the tape at 60 yds.

We were done and had an accurate tape in about 24 arrows or so. You can use the 20yd-40yd method but 20yd-60yd is better and more accurate--especially at longer ranges.

The same method can be used when setting individual pins on a fixed pin sight.

The reason this is a better than shooting at large areas such as a letters or dots is because the smaller area you can hone in on the less variance you will have in the formula used for gaping the yardages on the tape--aim small, miss small in other words. For example, an average modern hunring setup and being off by 1yd at 20yds is only about a 1/4" variance, but a 1yd variance is about 1 3/8" off at 40yds and a 1yd variance at 60yds will result in being off by 3 1/2".

While some will say, "I'm not going to be shooting that far at an animal" and they will be correct, but having the confidence to know that your tape or pin gap is dead on is priceless in archery and will make you better.

The vertical line is used the same way for checking and setting minute left and right windage adjustments.

Hope this helps some of you.

TNReb

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. This helped me tremendously. Sighting in an HHA by shooting at 3" circles on a block just doesn't work very well.

TNDeerGuy

AlexDad":2n0xbraj said:
You said in your post a fellow member was over, what do you charge for this service?

I didn't do anything except share some knowledge and channel my inner 6 year old and drew some 1/4" lines on a piece of cardboard--he did the rest and had his own HHA tapes. He is an acquaintance and we got to talking about this, so I thought I would share with the group and perhaps it could help someone struggling to make an accurate tape or get those fixed pins dead-on. :)

Seriously though, if you follow the steps as I described you can do this at your house with ease. If you have any questions, I will gladly help as much as possible.

AlexDad

TNDeerGuy":3dy1ntc4 said:
AlexDad":3dy1ntc4 said:
You said in your post a fellow member was over, what do you charge for this service?

I didn't do anything except share some knowledge and channel my inner 6 year old and drew some 1/4" lines on a piece of cardboard--he did the rest and had his own HHA tapes. He is an acquaintance and we got to talking about this, so I thought I would share with the group and perhaps it could help someone struggling to make an accurate tape or get those fixed pins dead-on. :)

Seriously though, if you follow the steps as I described you can do this at your house with ease. If you have any questions, I will gladly help as much as possible.

You may be seriously over estimating my abilities! LOL!

Latest posts