hey reloaders i messed up

matt_brown

A few months ago I sat down and started loading up some 300 win mag for some unknown reason I had it burned into my thick skull that I was supposed to use 70.0 gr varget I was looking through my data book today and seen that the load that I'm supposed to be using is IMR 4831 70 gr. I have shot several rounds they group great but my concern is am I going to lose the right side of my face by shooting varget.

ewc

Wrong forum. Maybe a nice moderator will move this.

Good news:

If you shooting 125-130 grain bullets, your safe.

Bad news:

150 grain bullet = 6+ grains over max
165 grain bullet = 12+ grains over max.
Any bullet wt above and there is no data I can find.

Pull the bullets, dump the powder, and keep your eyes, nose, face, and fingers.

matt_brown

So when I tell you that I am shooting 210 gr bergers your going to wonder how Ive not died yet. O boy. Bullet puller it is

matt_brown

Sometimes the bolt is a little stiff when ejecting the brass. I use lapua brass. I have no signs of pressure on the case

matt_brown

Hell now I'm wondering if I really used varget or 4831 I'm going to visually see if I can tell a difference in the 2 powders and pull bullets from a few random cases just to verify

DaveB

Beyond any doubt, pull the bullets, dump the powder, and move on. I say dump the powder (works great as a fertilizer) because there is some uncertainity. With a 300 or a .204, you cannot take chances as the results can be quite horrible.

Just for the record, I have a Forster bullet puller die. And 6 of the collets. I've pulled quite a few-Which Powder, scale not set right, used wrong bullet weight, it is easy to do.

Be careful, we like having folks around.

matt_brown

I think what I am going to do is just load up 3 or 4 that I know is right and see if my rifle still hits at zero. I know its on with the shells I am shooting now so that should let me know what the mystery powder is

Hunter 257W

matt_brown said:
Hell now I'm wondering if I really used varget or 4831 I'm going to visually see if I can tell a difference in the 2 powders and pull bullets from a few random cases just to verify

If there is any doubt in your mind at all, throw that powder out. I would never pour powder back into a powder can once I walk away from a loading session and have even the slightest hint of doubt about the identity of the powder. Yeah, reloading components are expensive nowdays but blowing up a rifle and ruining your health cannot be compared to losing a few dollars of powder. Be SAFE!

matt_brown

Update. I redneck pulled 3 bullets (channel locks and rcbs press) which ruined my bullets. I looked at the varget and imr 4831 and there is a visual difference in the two. Out of the 3 I pulled I did put the right powder in them. I ordered a bullet pulling die.

Question: once I use the bullet pulling die and inspect the powder to make sure that it is the right powder can I seat the bullet back into the case without re sizing it.

Thanks to you all you have been a great help

KPH

resizie you have expaned the mouth. Make dang sure of the powder under no cerstances do you want to mix powder. I don't want to come and see you in the hospital.

jakeway

ONce you pull the bullets, the case mouth may be tight enough to hold the bullets finger tight, but they will be inconsistant and some of them may seat farther back from the recoil while in the magazine. This could affect pressures. As others stated, safety first.

And don't base safety just on if the gun shoots accurately. It may shoot acurately and still blow up on the next shot.

DaveB

Any time you pull a bullet because of a powder question, you should dump the powder. Having seated a bullet and then removed it, you should at least neck size the case to get the tension correct.

Please, reading this is giving me cold chills, please consider the bullets you had uncertainity over as a cheap form of education. Unload them. Dump the powder. Start over. You can be dead. Let me repeat. You can be dead with a hand load error. Or, blind. Or, Missing hand, nose, finger, fingers, and any combination. It is this possibility that stops folks from hand loading.

I repeat, you can be dead. Please exercise care. Undo everything you thought was wrong and start over, even if you think you have figured it out and are 100% okay.

Latest posts