HEVI-Shot Heavy XII, 20 Gauge, 3"

Carlos

What size shot are they?

I'm pretty these are tungsten loads that are primarily used for waterfowl hunting.

trex

I see a box of #4 and a box of #6
When you say waterfowl, you mean the smaller ducks or larger like geese and swans?
What range would they be good for?

Carlos

I see a box of #4 and a box of #6
When you say waterfowl, you mean the smaller ducks or larger like geese and swans?
What range would they be good for?
I'm not all that familiar with them. Someone else will chime in directly.

cbhunter

Waterfowl loads. Very expensive!

Attachments

• 36249FC7-A338-41EB-AF15-C4231DE812CE.png
    36249FC7-A338-41EB-AF15-C4231DE812CE.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 37

Displaced_Vol

Yep, duck loads. I'd use the 6s for any size ducks and the 4s for geese. Both would work I'd think.

Hevi has been known to get "creative" with their marketing claims in the past. I think this is shot that has a density of 12 g/cc. True Tungsten is 18 g/cc. That's used mostly in turkey hunting with very small shot (8 or 9).

The OG Hevi shot was around 12 g/cc if I remember correct and people raved about it. I never shot any of it. For $50, this probably isn't a bad price for what you're getting and in today's market, but it's not for me. The slight increase in performance isn't worth the vast increase in price. YMMV

Edit to add: you asked about 20 gauge loads and I do think these high performance loads do make more sense as you go down in gauge size. Still have to know what your normal ranges are and rather or not you can put shot on the birds. A body can miss with anything and it hurts a lot more when it costs $2/shell.

Displaced_Vol

If it's an older gun and you're wanting to waterfowl hunt with it I think a lot of folks turn to bismuth shot. Slightly (20% I think?) more dense than steel but not quite as good as lead.
Prices vary but lots of manufacturers are getting into it. I've shot some of the Kent bismuth I picked up before prices got real high. Boss is another popular company offering bismuth.

Latest posts