Hevi 13

Grizzly Johnson

Don't know much about the Mossberg's..... I'm a Remington man sorry....

But you might try the Winchester Xtended range shells before you go to Hevi-13....

TheLBLman

muzzy smackdown said:
dont know much about hevi13 but the win extended range is one mean shell . . . . .
I agree, and the Win Extended Range is also about half the price of the Hevi-13.

I have pattern-tested both, and will say the Hevi-13 gave me slightly denser and slightly more uniform patterns than the Win Extended Range. But then, I was comparing 2 oz Wins against 2 1/4 oz H-13s, still #6 shot vs. #6 shot.

I also tested some Hevi-13 #7 shot, which not surprisingly produced significantly greater pattern density than anything else tested. Since I only go for head shots, I think this #7 shot may just be the ticket, and wish Winchester would offer it.

Anyone know the exact differences between Win. Extended Range #6 pellets and Hevi-13 #6 pellets?

buckdead

Wes Parrish said:
Which is "heavier", i.e. does a #6 pellet of Hevi-13 weigh more than a #6 Win. Ext. Range?
Winchester Extended is only 10% heavier than lead so that would make it around 11g/cc. H-13 is 13 g/cc. Federal Heavyweight is 15 g/cc.

TheLBLman

Thanks, Buckdead!

buckdead said:
Wes Parrish said:
Which is "heavier", i.e. does a #6 pellet of Hevi-13 weigh more than a #6 Win. Ext. Range?
Winchester Extended is only 10% heavier than lead so that would make it around 11g/cc. H-13 is 13 g/cc. Federal Heavyweight is 15 g/cc.

Sounds like #7 size H-13 would have the approximate per pellet weight/energy of a #6 Win. Ext. Range, or about the same as a #5 regular lead pellet?

Because of their "Flight-Control" wads, Federal does not recommend using their "Heavyweights" in ported chokes, otherwise I'd be all over those Federal Heavyweights that are offered in #7 shot. But since they are so HEAVY, there are considerably fewer pellets per ounce ---- I tried some in #6 shot and they seemed to have about the same # of pellets as the #5 shot load of Win. Ext. Range (and produced no better pattern density).

I need to get back to hand-loading shotshells and load up some with #8 Tungsten shot! ;)

Andy S.

Wes,

I thought this information I gathered from The Patterning Board may be of use to you. It is a good website to read and learn about loads, chokes, patterns etc.

ThePatterningBoard-Shotsizeinfor-5.jpg

ThePatterningBoard-Shotsizeinfor-4.jpg

ThePatterningBoard-Shotsizeinfor-3.jpg

ThePatterningBoard-Shotsizeinfor-2.jpg

ThePatterningBoard-Shotsizeinfor-1.jpg

I hope this was useful and best of luck hunting.

buckdead

buckdead said:
Wes Parrish said:

Wes Parrish said:
Sounds like #7 size H-13 would have the approximate per pellet weight/energy of a #6 Win. Ext. Range, or about the same as a #5 regular lead pellet?
I would say thats a pretty good guesstimate.

Wes Parrish said:
Because of their "Flight-Control" wads, Federal does not recommend using their "Heavyweights" in ported chokes, otherwise I'd be all over those Federal Heavyweights that are offered in #7 shot. But since they are so HEAVY, there are considerably fewer pellets per ounce ---- I tried some in #6 shot and they seemed to have about the same # of pellets as the #5 shot load of Win. Ext. Range (and produced no better pattern density).
Pure Gold makes a choke just for the Federal Flight-Control shells. They dont have it advertised on their website so you would have to call them to inquire about it.
Wes Parrish said:
I need to get back to hand-loading shotshells and load up some with #8 Tungsten shot! ;)
That would probably be the best money you ever spent towards turkey ammo.

buckdead

Andy S. said:
Reference above table. Based on mass alone, a H13 #7 pellet is more like a #6.5 lead pellet if they made it, not like a #5 lead.
Thanks for the table thats some good info.
A smaller pellet will retain more energy at extended distances, because it doesnt have the surface area to slow it down during flight. It will also penetrate better because of the smaller surface area.

TheLBLman

Andy S. said:
I hope this was useful and best of luck hunting.
VERY GOOD comparative info! Thanks for posting it!

buckdead said:
Andy S. said:
Based on mass alone, a H13 #7 pellet is more like a #6.5 lead pellet if they made it, not like a #5 lead.
A smaller pellet will retain more energy at extended distances, because it doesnt have the surface area to slow it down during flight. It will also penetrate better because of the smaller surface area.

I've heard reports that the H13 #7 pellet would totally pass through a turkey's breast at 40 yards, offering comparable penetration to a #5 lead pellet. Kinda like comparing placing a pound of pressure on a sharp pin vs. a pound of pressure on a blunt object.

Note that the Federal Heavyweight #7 pellet weighs MORE than a standard #6 lead pellet. Generally speaking, would expect the #7 Heavyweight to penetrate more like a #5 lead, while providing pattern density greater than a #6 lead.

TheLBLman

buckdead said:
Wes Parrish said:
That would probably be the best money you ever spent towards turkey ammo.
I'm really baffled we're not seeing more commercial offerings of the #7 shot ---- just going to #7 hevi-shot could make virtually ANY shotgun with a modified to factory full choke a deadly turkey gun out to 40 yards.

Andy S.

Wes,

I agree. And I have heard of several hunters that are using the Hevi #7s and are flat smoking turkeys out to 45 yards (some further). As far as penetration goes, kinetic energy ALONE is a little miss leading. The true measure is the total energy applied over the surface area of the pellet. This is where the smaller shot (#7-#9) Hevi loads shine. I was reading on another website where a TSS9 at 1200 fps applies more energy than a lead #4 at 1400 fps strictly because of less surface area, less wind resistance (to slow it down over longer ranges), less friction (as it penetrates the turkey), thus more penetration. Dense patterns with greater penetration is what we are looking for with turkeys. IMO, heavier than lead (HTL) is far superior to lead regardless if the energy (ft-lbs) is slightly higher in lead compared to HTL.

TheLBLman

Andy S. said:
And I have heard of several hunters that are using the Hevi #7s and are flat smoking turkeys out to 45 yards (some further).
I'm not trying to see how far I can kill a turkey with any particular load, but I like to have a little margin for error, such as misjudging the range.

Last week I killed a 22-lb-plus Tom with the Hevi 7#'s.
He dropped in his tracks, dead. This one had been strutting in front of me for a long time and simply wasn't coming any closer. After I shot, I pulled out my rangefinder and from my position to the dead bird was exactly 47.0 yards. The #7's had completely passed thru this bird's head. Other than my aiming at his outstretched head, not sure how I managed to get none in the breast at that distance, but the breast had no hits.

Prior to this year, I had gone many years mainly just using #5-size shot. And although I have to admit that under 40 yards it may matter little what size shot we're using, I'm "sold" on the #7 "hevi" shot.

Andy S. said:
Dense patterns with greater penetration is what we are looking for with turkeys. IMO, heavier than lead (HTL) is far superior to lead regardless if the energy (ft-lbs) is slightly higher in lead compared to HTL.
Exactly.

Bone Collector

Wes Parrish said:
Andy S. said:
And I have heard of several hunters that are using the Hevi #7s and are flat smoking turkeys out to 45 yards (some further).
I'm not trying to see how far I can kill a turkey with any particular load, but I like to have a little margin for error, such as misjudging the range.

Last week I killed a 22-lb-plus Tom with the Hevi 7#'s.
He dropped in his tracks, dead. This one had been strutting in front of me for a long time and simply wasn't coming any closer. After I shot, I pulled out my rangefinder and from my position to the dead bird was exactly 47.0 yards. The #7's had completely passed thru this bird's head. Other than my aiming at his outstretched head, not sure how I managed to get none in the breast at that distance, but the breast had no hits.

Prior to this year, I had gone many years mainly just using #5-size shot. And although I have to admit that under 40 yards it may matter little what size shot we're using, I'm "sold" on the #7 "hevi" shot.

Andy S. said:
Dense patterns with greater penetration is what we are looking for with turkeys. IMO, heavier than lead (HTL) is far superior to lead regardless if the energy (ft-lbs) is slightly higher in lead compared to HTL.
Exactly.

Wes I wish i had a load like that because the exact same scenario is why i started the thread, except my story did not have a happy ending and I think the bird was about 40-42 yds.

Bone Collector

Wes Parrish said:
muzzy smackdown said:
dont know much about hevi13 but the win extended range is one mean shell . . . . .
I agree, and the Win Extended Range is also about half the price of the Hevi-13.

I have pattern-tested both, and will say the Hevi-13 gave me slightly denser and slightly more uniform patterns than the Win Extended Range. But then, I was comparing 2 oz Wins against 2 1/4 oz H-13s, still #6 shot vs. #6 shot.

I also tested some Hevi-13 #7 shot, which not surprisingly produced significantly greater pattern density than anything else tested. Since I only go for head shots, I think this #7 shot may just be the ticket, and wish Winchester would offer it.

Anyone know the exact differences between Win. Extended Range #6 pellets and Hevi-13 #6 pellets?

I have only seen the Winchester extended range at one place (academy sports Franklin) and it is actually just as expensive as the Hevi 13. The difference is you get 5 Hevi 13's gor about $15 and 10 Winchester extended range for $30. They do have a Winchester Supreme Hi velocity that shoots at 1300 FPS that are about $13 for 10.

The other problem is they only have the Hevi in 4 and 5 and they are the only place in the area that I have seen that has the Hevi. I know Bass Pro Shops has it, but that is a haul from M'boro.