Herbicide (Clethodim) Question in Clover Food Plot

PersimmonMan

Hey Guys,
I've got Johnson Grass, Foxtail Grass, etc. in my clover and chicory food plot. I've bought Clethodim (Generic called Section) to mix with crop oil to wipe out the grasses before overseeding this fall with oats and wheat (and perhaps some more clover). I can't seem to find an answer dealing with the length of time I must wait to sow an annual grass like oats or wheat. Any thoughts on how long I must wait to plant? I was planning on applying the Clethodim this weekend and planting sometime in the middle of September. I'm guessing one month is plenty of time but just want to make sure. Also, does anyone have any history with this chemical on clover/chicory plots? Thanks!

PickettSFHunter

You'll be just fine. Reports Ive read list a half life of 1.5 days. The seed wouldnt even be germinated by then more than likely. I use it around once a year on my clover plots. I use about 8 ounces of clethodim/32 ounces crop oil per acre. Ive used slightly more for more mature grasses and slightly less for younger grasses.

KubotaM4900

How effective is this on Johnson grass? My hay field is covered with JG this year. I havent read much on this. What grasses will it control and cost per acre?

PersimmonMan

Thanks guys. I'll let y'all know how it works on the grasses...yep, it's called Clethodim/Section and there are various other names it's sold under. I've read that it kills grasses better than Gly.

Boone 58

I assume it kills grasses but not clover? :)

PersimmonMan said:
Thanks guys. I'll let y'all know how it works on the grasses...yep, it's called Clethodim/Section and there are various other names it's sold under. I've read that it kills grasses better than Gly.

PersimmonMan

camoman270 said:
I assume it kills grasses but not clover? :)

PersimmonMan said:

Yes. Kills grasses and not clover, chicory, etc. I'll take some before and after pics.

tellico4x4

Used it earlier in the year and it did a great job with the grass in our clover. Can't remember the brand we used as one of the guys picked it up at a Rural King store in Indiana. However, the cost on it was way less than anything else we have found.

PersimmonMan

Football Hunter said:
PersimmonMan said:
Better than Gly?

Gly = Glyphosate/Roundup. Of coarse, Roundup is a broad spectrum herbicide that would kill clover too. I was just commenting that I've read that Clethodim, although slower, is better for a 'total' kill on certain grasses.

tellico4x4

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
tellico4x4 said:
AlabamaSwamper said:
Tellico,

Does that stuff kill fescue? If it does, I'm fixing to try it.

It whacked everything in the clover except the broadleaf stuff. We went back and sprayed 2-4-D-B for that. We plan on using it again next spring.

Not as well as the Cropsmart did on grass.Actually thinking about going back over again with the DB this weekend on a few plots that I mowed the other day. We are having ragweed problems...While the deer are eating the tops out of the ragweed, I'd like it gone before time to plant.

How well did the 2-4-D-B work.