Help....What should I have done?

JDP

So this Sat I went out for my 1st coyote hunt by myself. Now I am a rookie to say the least. After about a 20 min stand of rabbit distress calls, I tried a hurt coy pup call and got them howling for about 3 mins. But didn't get a visual on any yotes. I was set up in a line of trees between 2 open fields with woods and a big thick overgrown field they sounded like they were in the corner of some hardwoods in a cross wind, I don't think they caught my scent unless they circled down alot further afer they were howling.
I stayed there for another 15 mins or so. Should I have stayed there and called more with the pup call or was moving like I did a better choice. I went up a bit past where I thought they would be and tried getting behind them. I set up there in another field with some more open hardwoods between where I set up the beginning of the morning. I didn't get any reaction after moving.

MRUTVOL

Not seeing the type area you were at and your set up it is hard to say but IMO you may have over called. I usually just start with a 5 minute session or less just to see if any are close by. If they are and are interested you will know it real quick. If no response then I give it a good hard session for another 5 mins or so and then sit and wait about 10 mins. If I have a large field of view and anything is interested then you should see it in the first 15 to 20 mins. Of course if the view is limited you just can not be sure if they were coming or not. Some times they will just freeze up and not come in. What I would have done when they howled back is gave them a howl and couple barks back and maybe hit the pup stress again. No guarantee that works but sometimes you have to do things a little unconventional and mix it up. Curosity sometimes can get the best of a yote. Like Redblood said I would wait a couple weeks and try again. Good Luck

Yotehntr

There's a video on "Youtube" of TonyTebbe calling one in after it giving "warning barks"... sounds like they hung up.. maybe smelled you or didn't like something about your set... Personally, especially after seeing that video I would wait/call at least 15 min after they got quite. ahhh a little searching and I found it... well I can't get it to play but I think this is it.
After warning

bobthebowhunter

I had the same experiance. I was headed to my first set before daylight and they started carryin on about 400-500 yds away up wind. It was perfect, but they did't respond until my second set. And I'm not sure that the yote I saw/shot at was even coming to my calls. Much more to learn. I think them old coyotes were just laying around sun bathing not caring a thing about chasing food arouns. lol

JDP

Thanks everyone, like I said I am newbie and all the tips and advise are much appreciated! If any of you have hunted Ft Campbell I was hunting in Area 23 in one of the fields off Destiny Trail if that gives any perspective on what happened or could have done differently. Thanks again

MWoodard

How much coyote hunting pressure does FT Campbell receive?If it is alot they could just be educated try a different sound next time.

JDP

Well the last couple of weeks since deer season ended we have had maybe 10 or more people coyote hunting on post but with 62,000 acres for them to roam, I don't think they are pressured but then again I could be wrong. I know the Federal Game Wardens take a few when they get a shot at them. As for calling them I don't see alot of hunters going out for them. I work at the Hunting/Fishing office on post and we probably have had maybe 3 coyotes killed by hunters in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

MRUTVOL

JDP said:
Well the last couple of weeks since deer season ended we have had maybe 10 or more people coyote hunting on post but with 62,000 acres for them to roam, I don't think they are pressured but then again I could be wrong. I know the Federal Game Wardens take a few when they get a shot at them. As for calling them I don't see alot of hunters going out for them. I work at the Hunting/Fishing office on post and we probably have had maybe 3 coyotes killed by hunters in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Well now that sheds a different light on the situation. It is more than likely those yotes had heard that song before. Even though it is 62,000 acres you would be surprised how much of that area they have ventured on. Only 10 or more hunters may not seem like much but it is more than likely they have educated a bunch of yotes during their times there. You will just have to try different ideas until you get one curious enough to check you out. It will happen sooner or later but you may just have to work a little harder. Some people think they should see a yote every trip but I would say maybe 1 out of every 6 setups or more you will see a yote IMO. Then there are times when you see one every other setup or so. Depends on the area and other varibles as to just what might happen. There are a lot of yotes you never see and think you had a bad day. They can almost be right on you and you not ever know it if by yourself. Good to have a partner with you and have him set back to back if possible and watching for "slippers" coming around to check you out. Good luck and keep at it!

JDP

Yeah I've heard coyote hunting will make you humble! I enjoy just being out there, seeing or getting a shot is just bonus. I'll keep working on it and try different calls. Hopefully I can get with some other hunters and have some back up! Thanks again!

Latest posts