HELP Moths/Beatles in my Taxidermy

DeerMan66

Has anyone on here ever experienced getting some kind of moth or beatles in your taxidermy? I started to move one of my mounts and noticed hair coming out of it. After further inspection I noticed it has some type of small brown beatle looking bugs on it. They are very soft shelled bugs. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on how to get rid of them. I'm afraid they will destroy my entire collection. Help please 🙏 .

AT Hiker

Get them out and into a garage asap. Take with it any mount that is remotely close by. Mount Medix is a chemical you could try to help salvage them.
Careful with hair/feathers as the damage is done, rough handling and it will continue to fall out.
I'd also treat any carpet n furniture in the room just to be safe.
Permethrin used to be used but I don't think it was formulated like the stuff we use for tick repellent.

megalomaniac

Weavels. Refund from your taxidermist, and spray the heck out of the mount with 0.75% permethrin. Look for a new cape to remount if the damage is severe.

Savage Knight

I had this issue a few years back, i want to say they were "carpet bettles" I reached out to my taxidermist and he told me to put them in the biggest bags that I could find and set off bed bug bombs inside the bags. I let them sit for about a week just to be sure. Luckily I caught them before they messed them up. However the couch that was under them didn't fair as well, it took a trip to the dump!

PWoody

Carpet beetles. Brutal. I had them a couple of years ago. Got all my turkey feathers and beards (the stuff at the attachment point so the beards fall apart), feather fletchings on arrows, skull caps with hair on them were converted into smooth leather…but I got rid of them before they got to my mounts thank goodness. I had a bug company come in multiple times, sprayed them myself, bug bombs, etc. They have to be treated multiple times to break up their life cycle. Difficult to eliminate. For example, they got inside my archery tackle box and ate the calf hair off the fingers of my trad archery glove. Sneaky devils. Wish you the best.

DeerMan66

Thanks to all for the input. I'm a lot more worried now than I was before my post, but at least I have more information. Now I shall go into attack mode on these guys.

Latest posts