Heck of a 2 1/2

BSK

Just video. Even though the resolution of video is lower than still images, I find I can identify bucks (by their antler configuration) on video much easier than still images. Plus, I find video provides much fuller data, as often it would be impossible to know if a picture involved a rut chase, but on video it's obvious. You can even hear bucks off camera grunting.

Now I would never run a baited census with video, as analyzing the data would take forever, but for a non-baited census (just trying to catch the deer doing their normal thing), I can live with having to look through the videos. MUCH longer data analysis time, but higher quality data.

TheLBLman

We don't see many 2 1/2s that look like this in my area. Average 2 1/2 scores only 82.5 in my area. Hope he makes it and hangs around for next year.
I'd love to see him survive to 5 1/2 :cool:

Uncommon for such a top-end 2 1/2 to make it to 3 1/2 in most hunted areas of TN.
Considering he has survived the local rut, would you give him 50/50 for surviving the remainder of the 2023 deer season?

BSK

I'd love to see him survive to 5 1/2 :cool:
Not me! If he makes it past 4 1/2, he will be virtually unkillable.

Uncommon for such a top-end 2 1/2 to make it to 3 1/2 in most hunted areas of TN.
Considering he has survived the local rut, would you give him 50/50 for surviving the remainder of the 2023 deer season?
95% chance. No one deer hunts after Thanksgiving in my area. They're all duck hunting.

Ski

If he makes it past 4 1/2, he will be virtually unkillable.

That hasn't been my experience at all. What I see is that as bucks get into maturity they significantly shrink their home core to a spot they feel secure, and that's where they spend the majority of their time. Any given season I'll have one or maybe two on my place. They show up between velvet shed and pre-rut, and often stay until green up. Those are by far & large the most visible deer on my place because they're all over the property all times of day & night. There just aren't very many of them.

That hasn't been my experience at all. What I see is that as bucks get into maturity they significantly shrink their home core to a spot they feel secure, and that's where they spend the majority of their time. Any given season I'll have one or maybe two on my place. They show up between velvet shed and pre-rut, and often stay until green up. Those are by far & large the most visible deer on my place because they're all over the property all times of day & night. There just aren't very many of them.
I have experienced the same thing. Once they get to a certain age, they seem to be less nocturnal and easier to kill than a 4.5 yr old.

BSK

I have experienced the same thing. Once they get to a certain age, they seem to be less nocturnal and easier to kill than a 4.5 yr old.
Wow, that's not our experiences at all. We picked up the first mature buck on camera in 2003. Since then, we've had a total of 59 mature bucks on camera. Some of those are the same buck one year to the next, but in a given year we have "X" number of mature bucks to hunt. Add those all up and it comes to 59. Of those, how many have we killed? Just 11. And seven of those are mine ( four 4 1/2s, two 5 1/2s, and one 6 1/2). All other hunters combined hunting my place, just four (all 4 1/2) in 21 hunting seasons. Once they hit 4 1/2, they become ghosts. They are rarely (and some never) photographed during daylight, and they are rarely seen during daylight. Only once has a mature buck been seen other than the instance when he was killed.

To me, pursuing that kind of animal isn't fun. A worthy challenge, absolutely, but not fun.

Last edited:

Latest posts