Headed to reelfoot on Friday

gunshow420

For a weekend hunt. Was trying to get a feel for what is going on out there. I'm sure there is ice but was wondering if they are even able to get out to the blinds? I'm sure there are birds heading south just hoping there is some open water for them to land. It looks like maybe a slight warm up for the weekend. Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

gunshow420

I thought it might be locked up. Guess I should try to get ahold of the guide and make sure he even still wants us to come. Hate to drive 5 hours to sit in the room and look at ice. I can do that here.

TreyB

gunshow420":1188p7ch said:
I thought it might be locked up. Guess I should try to get ahold of the guide and make sure he even still wants us to come. Hate to drive 5 hours to sit in the room and look at ice. I can do that here.

What guide are you going with? Some may tell you its fine and really not. Try find out from others if you have never used this guide.

gunshow420

Using Rick spicer out of southshore resort. Have hunted with him in past. Have tried calling and texting since yesterday and have had no luck getting him. Try again today I guess. I don't mind cold and or ice. But if it's frozen over and no way to hunt then hopefully he would just say that.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Good luck man.
I know some of the guides have been running ice eaters 24/7 and running their boats in and out every 2 to 3 hours to keep the trails open.
Lot of work for a few ducks. (That was a quote from a facebook page)

The biggest issue I see is that with that much ice the vast majority of the ducks will be gone by this weekend, whether you got open water or not.

My son is acutally supposed to go with some friends of his this weekend as well.
Knowing him they will go regardless. LOL

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
From what one of the guys that hunts our blind says, the lake is iced in pretty good, no birds moving, and a lot of the guys that usually try to keep access to their blinds open haven't even bothered. There are a few blinds that get to shoot regularly, but not many. If they're off the main lake hunting a pit on a field, you may do ok, but otherwise, from what I have seen so far on the main lake(at least in our blind on Champy's Pocket), it hasn't been worth it.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I just talked to my son.
The guide they were going with this coming weekend called and told them not to come.
Open water blind middle of the lake the ice is 6" thick.
Said it was the worst they have seen in 18 years.
Just thought I would pass this along.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

gunshow420

Thanks for info. 6" ice is pretty locked up. Talked to our guide he said it isn't pretty but they are hunting. Said a lot of guys are not hunting. I'm leaning toward rescheduling.

rem270

If I was going to be back home this weekend I'd drive over to Reelfoot just to look at the ice. The pics I see people posting are pretty cool as iced over as it is. No way I'd be duck hunting there right now though. One guy on my fb guides and he's been staying there over night just to keep a hole open. Didn't figure they could kill many ducks anyways with all the ice. Good luck.

Southern Sportsman

A few years ago, last time I remember it freezing up this bad, a huge sheet of ice (acres in size) got cut loose by connecting boat trails and started drifting towards a blind in the wind. The blind had people in it. The realized what was about to happen at the last minute and were able to get out just before the blind got crushed and sheered of at water level.

Dirt Dobber

Yeah, many a trees were taken down or on lean from the last hard freeze up several years back. Those "glaciers" were taken em down with ease.
Kinda wild if you think about it.

Crazyeye

How long before the ice is gone enough to hunt. I say most will be hunting by Wednesday but i bet some of the ice will still be here this weekend when it gets cold again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge Man

The thick ice is not melting, shallow spots are melting faster. But most lakes, fields and bottoms are still frozen 3-4 inches thick as of today. This ice will not be gone before the next hard freeze hits.

Latest posts