Having trouble deciding

Gravey

I'm still searching for my next .243 and I definitely want stainless and have about decided to go synthetic over wood. I originally started my search with the Ruger M77 Hawkeye but really like the Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather. Both are stainless with synthetic stock and the one on the Winny is a Bell & Carlson. I've handled the Ruger several times but haven't found a Winchester yet although I did pick up a Featherweight. My head says the Winchester but trying to justify spending $330 more for it over the Ruger is holding me back. Is it worth it or should I get the Ruger and use the extra money toward a scope (thinking Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40)?

meat hunter

My vote would be for the Thompson Center Icon. 100% American made, guaranteed for life and dollar for dollar more features than either of the choices mentioned. Say nothing about the moa accuracy guarantee from TC which neither Ruger nor Winchester will do.

Tiny

Gravey said:
Let's throw another option out there vs. the model 70 Extreme Weather. Compare the Browning X-bolt Stainless Stalker to it.

No Contest M-70 now if the A-bolt it would be a tougher decision but the M-70 would most likely get the nod.

Model70Man

Not a fan of detachable mags on rifles. The M70 FW is a sweet rifle. I like the looks of the EW. If I shot right handed I would have one of each new model.

Gravey

Model70Man said:
Not a fan of detachable mags on rifles. The M70 FW is a sweet rifle. I like the looks of the EW. If I shot right handed I would have one of each new model.
I think I'm going the EW route whenever I can get my hands on one to fondle first to make sure I like how it feels and fits me. Finally found a gun shop in Franklin that has some (not in .243) and I'll be over there late next week and will stop in and see one. I'd entertain a Featherweight and then just switch the stock out later because I don't care if the barrel is fluted or not as long as it's stainless.

Latest posts