having trouble canting rifle

mr.big

shooting at 1,000 yards with 700PSS 308 in AICS and elevation is good in hotter temps,,no pressure signs with stout load Varget,,BUT,,I been having trouble tracking straight up and has gotten worse since using the AICS stock,,I think with the straight back,no drop at the cheek weld is causing me to cant the rifle and I need much higher mounts to get my big head behind the scope centered and level,,

I came up 35+3 and was on elevation and 7 MOA right with no wind,,pulled back 7 MOA and was doing good,,then Alan shot his Savage with 55x22 NF and his dope is about the same as mine but he was on with no wind adjust,,he got on my rifle left handed and it was dead on with no wind adjust,,and I got on his left hand rifle and was 7 MOA right with his rifle hitting exact spot I was with my rifle,,

I think I will put the PSS action back in factory HS stock and see how it goes and try and get some higher mounts and better scope with a level for my custom I have coming for the AICS Chassis,,
it is a Stiller Tac 30 action with pinned 20 taper base,pinned recoil lug,,one piece bolt/handle with M16 extractor and spiral flutted bolt and small firing pin for the 6,5x47 Lapua small primers,,and of course the 28 inch #17HV Bartlien 8 twist barrel that will be chambered and fitted for the 140 gr Berger Hybirds,,hopefully with some help from my shootin Buddy we will get it sorted out and I can learn with a higher scope how to adjust the AICS so I can get behind the scope straight and level and make no wind hits with no wind adjustments,,

thanx again alan for helping me determine what was causing my frustrations,,

yall will probably get sick of the pics and targets when I get a package from Memphis,,I am about to go insane with the anticipation of recieving my first full on Custom built rifle on Custom action and high end barrel and stock,,gonna be a heavy sucker though,,

action 36 ounces,
AIS 1.5 6.75 lbs
Bartlien barrel 6.5 lbs
Atlas Spigot mount and Atlas bipod 2 pounds,
most any scope for this will be at least 2 lbs
then 10 round mags loaded to the gills,,

could wind up at 17-18 lbs firing 140 gr bullets with 40 grs of powder,,I dont think it will need a brake,,

thanx again Alan,,and Tim for getting me started on a life long goal of having a Custom LR rifle built to my specs,

and I am fired up to see what the 140 Hybird with BC of .625 will do with 40 gs of powder and 28 inches of barrel,,I am hearing of people breaking up over 2900 fps which would be really good for how I shoot,,

mr.big

my eyes have changed a lot in past couple years and went to Dr a couple weeks ago for new script for my lens,,I havent received the new glasses yet and have been reading and shooting with a cheap pair of +175 reading glasses from walmart,,after shooting some smallbore last couple days I think the glasses are messing with me,,if the lens isnt perfect flat behind the scope it seems the image of the target moves on the rounded front of the cheap glasses lens,,

the rifle is not throwing shots or fliers of any kind,,this is some kind of shooter error I need to get straightened up,,

not going to waste any more ammo until I get new glasses and a level to mount on the gun,,and some higher mounts,,I can not get my head down low enough behind the scope because of the comb height on the AICS 1.5

Latest posts