having a hard time

762hunter

I've been trying to get the farm cleaned up a little and was planning on bush hogging a couple spots for food plots.

I've got a 44in Swisher that I thought was running good. Haul it to the farm and then yesterday I went to get the 4wheeler out there. Well that ole Honda 300 has been a little iffy the last year or so. I get it running and get to the farm.

I unload and hook up the mower to the wheeler and plan to get a little work done. The dang blasted trail mower runs fine till you engage the blades then it boggs down and sound like its going to die. So I go to lead it up and bring it home to work on it. As I'm about to back it on the trailer the wheeler dies. No power at all, dunno what it could be.

Can't get the wheeler running, plan to get a newer one real soon.
Can't get the mower running right and to top it all off I got into some chiggers
Bet I got 30+ bites on my legs

ARGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! why oh why do things have to be SO dang difficult at times???

Hunter 257W

I know where you are coming from there. I've had strings of bad luck like that where something broke or quit working every time I'd go out to try to work. It gets very frustrating, don't it?!? :shock:

The mower that stops when you engage the blade sounds like a carburetor problem to me or possibly a fuel pump if it has one. I'd start in those two areas if it were mine. If choking it some while you engage the blade makes it run better, then it's definitely a carburetor problem.

762hunter

the fuel cut off switch was 1 problem, when I pulled it from the bottom of the carb bowl the gas poured out along with a gel like substance, Ethanol sitting is all I can figure, time to pull the carb and do a little cleaning.
Its at least running now.

As for the 4wheeler. It sounds like the neutral switch has gone out from the way its acting. Its a 96 Honda 300 that has seen its better days. Think I'm done with it and gonna look for something a little newer/nicer.

:bash:

Andy S.

762hunter":20vfrhyh said:
Ethanol sitting is all I can figure
FWIW, I wouldn't run ethanol gas in anything other than my automobiles. You can find ethanol free gas in your area at the link below. They also make a "Pure Gas" app for smartphones if you are interested in that. Good luck with getting everything up and running.

http://pure-gas.org/

Andy S.

762hunter":1sjzyrhx said:
Its a 96 Honda 300 that has seen its better days. Think I'm done with it and gonna look for something a little newer/nicer.
That is one of the toughest bikes Honda has ever built. 2WD or 4WD? Are you going to sell it?

Hunter 257W

I use nothing but ethanol gas in all my small engines with no problems BUT I always ad Stabil to my gas year round. I have 3 riding mowers that I rotate amongst so they sit unused a lot and this works well for me. OF course once you find a local station that offers non ethanol gas, that's an easy route to take also.

treefarmer

I began using Seafoam gas stabilizer and have been very satisfied. My 4-wheeler used to have problems starting after sitting for long periods but since I began using Seafoam it starts every time now.

TNlandowner

treefarmer":399t1sf4 said:
I began using Seafoam gas stabilizer and have been very satisfied. My 4-wheeler used to have problems starting after sitting for long periods but since I began using Seafoam it starts every time now.

Seafoam recommendation x 2.... good product there.