Havalon Piranta vs Swiss+Tech Knife

DMD

I looked at those first, but thought it would be much too long. Bet it could filet fish, or silverskin quite nice though.
It is too long for field dressing. I use my old lock blade knife I've had for years and a gut hook. I use this knife strictly for skinning. I like the longer blade length for that.

LanceS4803

Got mine in today.
Bulkier than an original, but high quality and very sturdy. Will be nice for a backup and absolutely worth the price!

TNLynn

Much smaller than i expected
When i clicked on link I ordered what came up. $9.88. No clip on it and smaller than what everyone else ordered i think.

Attachments

• 20230207_061056.jpg
    20230207_061056.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 41

Omega

When i clicked on link I ordered what came up. $9.88. No clip on it and smaller than what everyone else ordered i think.
Did you change colors? They have the one I have pictured, and the black one, which I think says plastic scales and a bit smaller handle size, not sure about the blade size though.

Omega

Yes. I changed color to black. I guess I'll order another one.
Does that black one not feel right in your hand? Honestly, the blade does all of the work, as long as the handle gives you enough to hold on to, it should work fine. The orange Piranta is plastic, though longer, but if used like a scalpel it handles quite nice. Unless you just want another, and I think that is a good idea, specially at that price, then I would wait until you use this one a bit to see if it does a good job and handles well.

TNLynn

Does that black one not feel right in your hand? Honestly, the blade does all of the work, as long as the handle gives you enough to hold on to, it should work fine. The orange Piranta is plastic, though longer, but if used like a scalpel it handles quite nice. Unless you just want another, and I think that is a good idea, specially at that price, then I would wait until you use this one a bit to see if it does a good job and handles well.
It feels like a toy instead of a knife! Lol.

Tenntrapper

I got the black plastic one.... intentionally. I used it for first time yesterday...breasting out my turkey. Couple things.... Not as sharp as I was expecting...maybe I can hone them a bit.
Second, and more of a pain...where the sharpened edge ends kept hanging up on the skin and that "membrane". Perhaps it will be better on deer. Not giving up on it yet, but do need to address a couple things. Still a good deal...just not exactly working as I expected.

cbhunter

I got the black plastic one.... intentionally. I used it for first time yesterday...breasting out my turkey. Couple things.... Not as sharp as I was expecting...maybe I can hone them a bit.
Second, and more of a pain...where the sharpened edge ends kept hanging up on the skin and that "membrane". Perhaps it will be better on deer. Not giving up on it yet, but do need to address a couple things. Still a good deal...just not exactly working as I expected.
Glad I wasn't the only one. I also thought the blades left a whole lot to be desired. And the hanging part while cutting cardboard etc. I keep mine in my work truck but went right back to my other knife with interchangeable utility blades.

I wondered if there is a better brand of blades but haven't researched it

Omega

Glad I wasn't the only one. I also thought the blades left a whole lot to be desired. And the hanging part while cutting cardboard etc. I keep mine in my work truck but went right back to my other knife with interchangeable utility blades.

I wondered if there is a better brand of blades but haven't researched it
As I mentioned in the OP, the blades that come with it do seem like they are not as sharp, but I ordered this:
#70A Stainless Steel Replacement Blade 12 Pack - Fits Havalon Piranta Knives

They are from Havalon so should be as sharp as the original, mine are. I ordered them when I used the original Piranta to dress a deer, the tip was just too sharp and kept almost cutting my fingers, but the blade was great otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts