Hatching season

woodsman04

Still a little early in my area, I think most hatch right around Memorial Day. But the forecast the next several days looking good for them. Slight summer thunder shower rain chances, and hot weather.

If we could just get one or two good ones in a row it will help.

I've seen one clutch on my place every spring but twice since 2007. They are never there during fall, but I usually have a hatch. Just don't know where they go or if they get eaten.
We have thinned woods, got rid of cows, send fescue too hell, bushhog strips in late summer and early spring (before and after hatch) strip disc. Now have a big field of millets, sorghums, cowpeas, and who knows what else growing. Not a big square field, one that gets wide and narrow and curves and turns.
I'd rather see a clutch of little ones raise up to raise more than shoot a limit in three states combined in one season.

woodsman04

My property in Georgia is exactly the same in some ways. Prime habitat, and no birds. I finally stopped hunting them

I've tried to build my place for turkeys and quail. Few turkeys, no quail. And the reason their ain't no quail is because to have more quail you have to have a mom and dad quail in the first place. No quails anymore anywhere, they can't just rise up from the dirt haha.

Setterman

I've tried to build my place for turkeys and quail. Few turkeys, no quail. And the reason their ain't no quail is because to have more quail you have to have a mom and dad quail in the first place. No quails anymore anywhere, they can't just rise up from the dirt haha.
What's crazy is that I did the same. Turkeys plummeted, quail exploded as did deer. I've got quail everywhere which blows my mind.

woodsman04

The next couple days are a terrible forecast for a bird nesting in a field- the 90s have the hay mowers rolling already in Putnam county
I know, but if they are nesting in hayfields they are in a bad situation no matter what. Most hay is probably fescue which isn't the best in the first place.

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
I know, but if they are nesting in hayfields they are in a bad situation no matter what. Most hay is probably fescue which isn't the best in the first place.
I always try and push my bush hogging off until June. In the past I've almost taken out a few fawns this early in the season. If you can stand to let it grow now, and cut later...do it.

woodsman04

I always try and push my bush hogging off until June. In the past I've almost taken out a few fawns this early in the season. If you can stand to let it grow now, and cut later...do it.
I think the best time to bushhog is august and September. And if not keep it somewhat maintained in spring so they won't nest and fawn in those areas.