Hack-and-Squirt...

BowGuy84

What would be best for winter hack and squirt? Its just not going to happen this fall with a new bride, two grad programs and deer season going on.

Tordon? Garlon? Y'all tell me I'll buy it and then some beach trees are gonna die!

BSK

BowGuy84 said:
What would be best for winter hack and squirt? Its just not going to happen this fall with a new bride, two grad programs and deer season going on.

Tordon? Garlon? Y'all tell me I'll buy it and then some beach trees are gonna die!

Herbicides work poorly in winter as there is little to no water transport in the tree at that time. I would recommend double girdling with a chainsaw.

BowGuy84

could I then hit it with something in the spring? I wont them dead, just dont have time now and dont want to be stomping around back in the thick where they are.

I might go and cut a facing chunk out of them so they only drop one of two ways when they do.

BSK

BowGuy84 said:
could I then hit it with something in the spring?

The problem with a spring herbicide application is that water is going up the trunk to the leaves of the tree so rapidly that the herbicide doesn't get drawn into the roots.