H&R NEF Heritage

Stalker

I bought a very cool looking NEF Sidekick from Cabelas and it came in this week...I'm going to shoot it tomorrow. I have some Hornady xtp 300gr sabots, some 420gr Hornady Great Plains Buffolo bullets, and some 320gr Maxi-Balls and a few power belts...I also am planning on using Pyrodex 50 grn pellets but have several 50gr 777 pellets. The Owners manual actually suggests Pryrodex pellets up to 150gr or loose ffg equivilent.

Does any one else have this gun? It is called the Heritage...Stainless with Realtree Hardwoods camo stock and forearm.

I'm also interested in what any thinks will shoot the best for hunting purposes...ie: powder load and bullet

Thanks,

Stalker

Here is what it looks like...had trouble getting the light right to see the camo...I think it looks good! :grin:

newheritage22.jpg
[/img]

Old Timer

The H&R version was likely the first modern in-line produced in large numbers. It pre-dated Knight rifles by 8-10 yrs. I used one in .58cal to take my first ML deer. My standard load was a roundball over 80Gr. Pyrodex P. It was a very accurate load and I took deer, rabbit and squirrel with it.

Stalker

Well, bad news...First few shots were awsome. At 50yrds dead center holes overlapping. But on shot number 5 the ram rod flew out a little (inch or two). When I went to push it back down it did not stay down. Removed the forearm to see what was going on and found that the clip used to hold the ram rod against the barrel was missing the nut that holds it on.

I figured I could live with that, just make a phone call and get the part shipped to me. But then I tried pushing number 6 Maxi-Ball down the barrel and the ram rod collapsed causing injury to my hand. Not bad minor cut from the front sight. I tried like all get out to make it work...no way arround it, bad design on the ram rod. The telescoping feature failed and would not hold any pressure before collapsing.

Then I tried to remove the breach plug to clean...can not do it with out removing the barrel because the screw driver hits the scope.

Blood dripping from my hand and pieces every where...this thing is going back and I am getting a Remington Genisis...

My old ML is a NEF Huntsman...'bout 6 or 7 yrs old. Shoots good and everything works but kinda tuff to get breach plug out to clean. I like it I just was looking for something that would be more upto date...figured NEF had solved some issues like the Breach plug and the Ram Rod...Guess not. But looks like I will have to hunt, the opener anyway, with my Huntsman...It will kill a deer anyway, 8in groups at 100 yrds, open sights.

Stalker

H&R called me today. said that they have never experienced any problems. But I read several reviews on Cabelas web site and another forum were other customers had the same results.

I told the lady I had contacted Cabelas and we were working it out. Namely I am sending it back for full refund and replaceing it with a Remington Genesis for $2 less and Cabelas is paying the shipping and upgraded it to 2 day delivery. So I should have something by Wednsday but it is guarranteed to be here on Thursday.

Heart breaker though this experience has been. The NEF Heritage is a sharp looking rifle and handles and feels great. But like I told the lady at H&R...I can not hunt with feelings and looks.

Latest posts