Gunpowder Question

pcrc

I aquired about 5 lbs of Dupont 452AA gunpowder with an older Mec Grabber I bought today. Can appears to be at least 10-20 years old I am guessing. Powder still smells good, is dry and looks fine. How long does old powder last. I know a lot of shotgun powders can be used for pistol loads and that is what I would prefer to use it for if it is still usable. Anybody have any loading data for it in 9mm or 40SW.

44fanatic

R.I.P.
Is there a website that you can go to for that powder? If you can find one, start out with the minimal load, some powders have been changed over the years and still keep the same name.

Dupont is now owned by Hogdon, may be a place to start looking.

Tiny

pcrc said:
I aquired about 5 lbs of Dupont 452AA gunpowder with an older Mec Grabber I bought today. Can appears to be at least 10-20 years old I am guessing. Powder still smells good, is dry and looks fine. How long does old powder last. I know a lot of shotgun powders can be used for pistol loads and that is what I would prefer to use it for if it is still usable. Anybody have any loading data for it in 9mm or 40SW.

Powder should still be good. Don't recall ever seeing data for it in handguns.... think the 40 S&W came out after Winchester dropped it...Happen to have 1985 Winchester Components and Load Data catalog in front of me,it dosen't list any handgun loads for WW-452AA. Might have some in some other older manuals however.

If 452AA it should be Winchester an not Depont,hope that was a typo and not powder put into a different can and re marked in which case it would get thrown out for fertilzer no matter what was wrote on the label or can.Unless I knew who did it.

pcrc

Tiny said:
pcrc said:

Powder should still be good. Don't recall ever seeing data for it in handguns.... think the 40 S&W came out after Winchester dropped it...Happen to have 1985 Winchester Components and Load Data catalog in front of me,it dosen't list any handgun loads for WW-452AA. Might have some in some other older manuals however.

If 452AA it should be Winchester an not Depont,hope that was a typo and not powder put into a different can and re marked in which case it would get thrown out for fertilzer no matter what was wrote on the label or can.Unless I knew who did it.
You are right on the relabel. The can is a Dupont 5lb and the label is glued on and says 10lb. As I look closer at the label you can obviously see that is has been cut off something else and glued on this can. The label has been trimmed so it does not show the manufacturer, only says 452AA with some warnings and "For Target and Standard Velocity Shotshell Loads". Kind of makes sense that it would be Winchester powder with AA designation. Hate to throw it away but I hate the idea of a blown up gun even worse. Not a deal breaker anyway as I only paid 100.00 for the Mec Grabber, 25lb bag of #8, three boxes of AA wads and over 400 shells already loaded. Loader needs a little refurb but it will make a good replacement for my 650.

Latest posts