Great phone message

scn

I just had a call pop up from Hopkinsville, KY. I always let them ring through to voicemail if they aren't in my contacts. Usually that doesn't happen. This time, there was a message from a nice young lady telling me that I was this year's winner of this package:

I don't have all of the final details, but, she said she thought I could pick when I want to go. Any insight from our KY turkey hunters on the time I might want to go?

First thing like this I have ever won, and yes, I feel very blessed.

scn

Yes, the Easter Weekend gives me a little pause. The last time I hunted on Easter Sunday, I pretty much promised it would be my last:

I struck a bird around 8 o'clock. I was on the high point of a new clear cut. I could barely see him and his hens about 250 yds away. I didn't see much chance of calling him in, but, he was quick to answer a call. About that time, a thunder storm started getting close. Between answering my calls, and gobbling to the thunder, he was gobbling every step heading to me. And, he was coming hard. I saw him at about a hundred yards right before he dropped into a big dip where I couldn't see him again. I got my gun up to shoot him when he popped into range.

But, before that could happen, the storm hit. Lightning was popping all around me, to the point that I put my gun several feet away, and assumed the pose you are supposed to if you are exposed to lightning. Since I was at the peak with NOTHING higher around me, I didn't think it was a good idea to high tail it.

The storm didn't last long, but soaked me to the bone. When it cleared, it was total silence. I found a call that would run, and tried to see if I could get a response. Nothing. I tried a couple more times over a few minutes, and finally figured that the bird had more sense than I did and had scooted off the clear cut into the nearby wooded drain.

So, I stood up to head back to the truck for some dry clothes. And, at about 35 yds, I got to watch him run off where he had been just out of my eyesight. He looked like an ostrich as he booked it. I still think it is the biggest turkey I have ever seen in the wild.

Maybe I can get a shot on that Saturday?

Last edited:

Displaced_Vol

That's awesome- I've heard it's a great hunt & shaker village is pretty cool in its own right. I don't have any personal insight on best times but I bet I could find somebody that would, I'll start putting feelers out tomorrow. Honestly, with the pressure being so light and management so good on that place I'd say you could just pick a date and have good luck. I've killed as many later in the year up here as I have our "early season".

scn

Thank you all! Still on cloud nine. It has been years since I've turkey hunted out of state.

Even better, my wife has been working from home for many months, and hasn't been out of the county since early last fall. She is certainly feeling cabin fever. She is looking forward to seeing the Village while I hunt. She deserves the trip more than me.

Latest posts