Got permission

RidgeRunner13

Got permission from the boss today on doing a CO OTC archery elk hunt. Granted the honey-do list just got a lot bigger. I've been doing my research and know at least one local that I've been talking to about places he's been before. I mainly have question about gear. I'm looking at grabbing a new pack and boots at the very least. A new clothing system will probably also get picked up. What advice do yall have on a new pack and boots? I'm planning on going mid to late September. Any other advice yall have I am more than open to. TIA

I've been out to UT for mountain training years ago when I was in the army. So, I am familiar with how steep and rugged the terrain is.

Redfox

Lotta good pack options now. I run a mystery ranch and don't have any complaints. I think pack fit is really important so I got a rep to size/set my pack up in Wyoming years ago. I'm in a smaller frame than I would have ordered on my own. I hate kenetrek boots. I'd pick up some merino stuff if I didn't have any. Black Ovis probably has the best product for the $. I'm a Sitka believer but their merino is junk.

Mattt

If early archery i runs asolo fugitives and hunt in shorts a lot. Kifaru pack and frame. What he said about getting sized for the frame it's very important. Don't overthink all this though more important to go with crappy gear. Then If it's a good fit upgrade as you learn. I like kennetreks for snowy conditions. Have lowas that I like also. Sportiva quality has gone downhill
My first time elk hunting was 26 years ago 2 months after I got married. Didn't have the money or any idea what I was doing just knew I had to go.

RidgeRunner13

If early archery i runs asolo fugitives and hunt in shorts a lot. Kifaru pack and frame. What he said about getting sized for the frame it's very important. Don't overthink all this though more important to go with crappy gear. Then If it's a good fit upgrade as you learn. I like kennetreks for snowy conditions. Have lowas that I like also. Sportiva quality has gone downhill
My first time elk hunting was 26 years ago 2 months after I got married. Didn't have the money or any idea what I was doing just knew I had to go.
I know the feeling. I went to Utah for training in 2010 and went to Arizona for a wedding in 2015. Haven't been back west in a long time and it's been calling me for a hot minute. On top of that, hunting an elk with a bow is #1 on my bucket list. Luckily, I have enough time to try and absorb as much knowledge as I can. I know it still won't be enough, but it'll be better than nothing.

RidgeRunner13

Any experience with the Kuiu packs? I like the Mystery Ranch one as well. The Kifaru looks like a tank, but I've seen complaints on weight. I'm planning on spike camping, so weight is somewhat of a factor. I like the setup of the Kuiu LT models, and the price is on par with most of the other companies if not even a little bit cheaper. Another question on packs. About what size do you think is adequate? I think the 5500-6500 would work. Is there any need to go up to the 7000 cu in packs for an at most 7-10 hunt?

I've seen a lot of good things on Crispi. If I can find some around here to try on, I might go that route.

Redfox

I don't think you can go wrong with anything kuiu. The clothing I have from them is top shelf.

My opinion on pack volume…… I think 5,000 ish is plenty, especially early season. I'm just under that with my setup and I can haul a pretty good load. The amount of gear and meat that would fit in those giant packs looks like a good way to blow knee. If you're packing in you will have to use the same pack to haul and hunt. Something you can trim down and make use of while going out each day is handy.

RidgeRunner13

I don't think you can go wrong with anything kuiu. The clothing I have from them is top shelf.

My opinion on pack volume…… I think 5,000 ish is plenty, especially early season. I'm just under that with my setup and I can haul a pretty good load. The amount of gear and meat that would fit in those giant packs looks like a good way to blow knee. If you're packing in you will have to use the same pack to haul and hunt. Something you can trim down and make use of while going out each day is handy.
Awesome. Thank you for the advice. Looks like I'll be grabbing a pack around February/March so I can start training with it. So far, it looks like I'm gonna have to order any boot I'm interested in because there aren't many options for that in the area to try on.

ShedAntler

Did our first archery elk this past September in NW Colorado , we were there the 17th-24th and temps fluctuated a good bit , we hunted 4000 acres of private bordering BLM on 3 sides .
Camped at 8000 foot and morning temps ranged from 28 to 48 for mornings and
50 to 75 for highs in the afternoons .
It sleeted one night for hours and then I wore shorts that same day in the afternoon.
To say you should be ready for it all would be an understatement , that time of year can be hot or cold - really try and watch the forecast models for predictions before but in my opinion if you have the room in the truck take enough stuff to cover all temps and then pack what you need from the truck ..

Merino for base layers for sure , I wore
first lite merino but as others have said there are a lot of options for merino .
Long sleeve top with the zipper in the front to dump heat while hiking was my best friend , wore it daily in hot and cold temps , shorts or light pants mostly in the afternoons with boot gaiters , a good light weight puffy for glassing is also a good idea for warmth that is packable and light to carry .

I searched for new boots and tried alot on , in the end I took my everyday non-insulated leather hikers and wore good quality heavy merino socks when cold and then I would switch over to a light weight merino sock for the afternoons ..
Best decision I made .. They were already broke in and comfortable , so I coated them in mink oil and went with it ,
I'm glad I did this because heavy warm boots and hiking don't mix , really try and find something lightweight .

For packs I went with a 5500 but we didn't spike camp , we had a base camp. If you are successful and get a bull I would say atleast a 5000 to pack out quarters one at a time comfortably and still have alittle room for whatever , like others have said fit is important more than anything .

Best thing I've done to date , best trip , best hunt , best scenery ,
best EVERYTHING !
As you prob know bow hunting is FULL of highs and lows , we were pretty low by day 4 , a couple of failed attempts getting so close but yet so far , then on day 5 it all came together and I stuck a great bull at 8 yards in the timber with my 16 year old Mathew's and a good old muzzy 3 blade !

DIY elk on public or private with a bow is one heck of a hard trip , don't let that discourage you .. This was our first time elk hunting and YOU CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN , even if you've never done it before and you don't have a guide or a clue what your doing .
My wife and I hunted alone for a week in the mountains and seen nothing but animals , sunrises and sunsets for seven days , that alone to us was paradise , If you are one of the few that get lucky on their first trip out west that will be the ultimate cherry on top !
Be ready to go back again and again because it is more addicting than any whitetail you have ever killed , that's a promise …
Sorry for the long post .. but man , elk will get you fired up ! Good luck 🍀

hootywho

Exo 4800 has served me well for the exact same scenario. Exo's customer service is top notch too. Don't get hung up on bag size for packing out as you pack out utilizing the load shelf/frame, not the bag. Enjoy.

RidgeRunner13

Did our first archery elk this past September in NW Colorado , we were there the 17th-24th and temps fluctuated a good bit , we hunted 4000 acres of private bordering BLM on 3 sides .
Camped at 8000 foot and morning temps ranged from 28 to 48 for mornings and
50 to 75 for highs in the afternoons .
It sleeted one night for hours and then I wore shorts that same day in the afternoon.
To say you should be ready for it all would be an understatement , that time of year can be hot or cold - really try and watch the forecast models for predictions before but in my opinion if you have the room in the truck take enough stuff to cover all temps and then pack what you need from the truck ..

Merino for base layers for sure , I wore
first lite merino but as others have said there are a lot of options for merino .
Long sleeve top with the zipper in the front to dump heat while hiking was my best friend , wore it daily in hot and cold temps , shorts or light pants mostly in the afternoons with boot gaiters , a good light weight puffy for glassing is also a good idea for warmth that is packable and light to carry .

I searched for new boots and tried alot on , in the end I took my everyday non-insulated leather hikers and wore good quality heavy merino socks when cold and then I would switch over to a light weight merino sock for the afternoons ..
Best decision I made .. They were already broke in and comfortable , so I coated them in mink oil and went with it ,
I'm glad I did this because heavy warm boots and hiking don't mix , really try and find something lightweight .

For packs I went with a 5500 but we didn't spike camp , we had a base camp. If you are successful and get a bull I would say atleast a 5000 to pack out quarters one at a time comfortably and still have alittle room for whatever , like others have said fit is important more than anything .

Best thing I've done to date , best trip , best hunt , best scenery ,
best EVERYTHING !
As you prob know bow hunting is FULL of highs and lows , we were pretty low by day 4 , a couple of failed attempts getting so close but yet so far , then on day 5 it all came together and I stuck a great bull at 8 yards in the timber with my 16 year old Mathew's and a good old muzzy 3 blade !

DIY elk on public or private with a bow is one heck of a hard trip , don't let that discourage you .. This was our first time elk hunting and YOU CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN , even if you've never done it before and you don't have a guide or a clue what your doing .
My wife and I hunted alone for a week in the mountains and seen nothing but animals , sunrises and sunsets for seven days , that alone to us was paradise , If you are one of the few that get lucky on their first trip out west that will be the ultimate cherry on top !
Be ready to go back again and again because it is more addicting than any whitetail you have ever killed , that's a promise …
Sorry for the long post .. but man , elk will get you fired up ! Good luck 🍀
NW is one of the area's I'm looking at going. I've been looking at units there, close to 70 around central CO in the Gore range, and north of Gunnison. All three have look to have different attributes about them. I'm gonna have to get boots no matter how I go. The boots I hike in here have soft soles and are only good for a few miles at a time. With large variations of terrain, I'd feel more comfortable with a better, stiffer boot. Luckily, it's still early enough that I can get a pair and get them broke in before September. Thank you for the information and sharing your story. Congrats on the bull. I know you have some pics to share.

AT Hiker

IMO, get a quality leather boot and get it ASAP. I love my Lowa Tibets, but I like a heavy and stiff boot. Just makes me feel stronger and when you're packing a heavy load you'll appreciate it. I use these boots hiking in the summer in the Smokies and and fall in the Rockies. Quality merino wool sock and gaiters and I'm set, no matter the weather.

My friend just picked up a pair of Beartooth Og from Schnees. He is not a hiker or "backcountry" hunter so it's new to him. We are headed to AK next October so I told him he needs a quality boot. He bought those a couple months ago and fell in love with them. He walks daily and wears them when he can, they will be good and broken in by Oct.

Also, a quality boot with good warranty will pay for itself time and time again. I sent my Lowas back to Germany for them to be reconditioned and new soles. At over 10 years old they are better than new now.