Got my new toy today !

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I wanted one of these last year and couldn't make it happen. This year I got lucky and got a HECK of a deal on this bad boy.
I can't wait to fire it up and see what it will do.
Sorry I don't have a picture but my camera is dead and I haven't found my charger yet. :D
I will get some better pics up tomorrow but for now you can see the stock photo below.
hee hee

http://www.savagearms.com/10mlssiicamo.htm

Kevin B.

Congrats Ruger! Prepare to be addicted to range time.
You probably already know to do this, but I'll share it anyway. Savage ML's come with a bore protectant that is quite difficult to remove. It will take a bronze brush or two with some good solvent. JB Paste would be the best cleaning agent. Lots of elbow grease til patches come out clean. Then go shooting and drive tacks.
I feel compelled to share this with you because I failed to give my first ML2 a GOOD cleaning and went to the range and had sabots blowing, bullets tumbling, and everything else. I only THOUGHT that I had that bore clean. I swabbed it out good with Hoppes 9 and some patches, but didn't use a brush. After a thorough cleaning, the magic happened.
Happy shooting. Kevin

Kevin B.

It's my pleasure Ruger. I really obsessed over mine. I lived them and breathed them (ML2's) for a while. Studied the forums and spent all of my money buying and trying new bullets, sabots, powders, then went to an aftermarket drop in .45 Pac Nor barrel. Not because the Savage barrel wouldn't perform, but rather because of my obsession/love for smokeless MLing. I don't consider myself an authority of the subject by any means, but it was impossible for me not to pick up some good info during my love affair. Here's tid bit:
Although Savage Arms uses the 250 xtp/ MMP short black as their accuracy load, the gun's designer (Henry Ball) actually built the gun around the 300 grain xtp (.452) non-magnum bullet. (For some reason the 'magnum' xtp's do not perform as well on paper as the standard xtp's. So, having said that, if you want to find a quick and sure fire load with which to take deer/ coyote size game out to 200 yards, then here is your load: 300 gr xtp, MMP short black sabot/ 42 to 44 grains of N110 or IMR4759 (more readily available).
The sabot MUST fit snug during the loading process. If you are able to push and seat the saboted bullet with one arm, it's likely too loose. Accuracy will suffer. May have a misfire from time to time etc. Having a good tight fitting saboted bullet will eliminate these potential problems before they get started messing w/ your mind. Here's a tip: MMP (Owned and operated by Del Ramsey) sells a starter pack of sabots very cheaply with different petal thicknesses. It's a must have when load developing. You can determine which sabot is right for you by this technique: remove breech plug. With a CLEAN dry barrel, shove some saboted bullets (start with mmp short black and 250 or 300 grain xtp) thru the bore and compare loading resistances. Tighter the better but not tight enuff to deform bullet or sabot.
By the way: the sabot that comes packaged with the Shockwaves (MMP HPH 24) is WAY too loose in most ML2's. And they produce misfires and blown sabots due to their looseness.
Anyway, I wanted to share that with you, not AT ALL with the intention of trying to dazzle the forum members with my saavy of smokeless MLing, but rather to highlight the problem areas that I had trouble with until someone helped me. Only trying to be helpful, and to repay the kindness that was shown to me when I went to my first range session with my Savage ML2 and was shooting bullets every where! LOL I was getting mad! lol I was cursing Savage and Randy Wakeman and everyone who had ever touted the ML2 and Smokeless MLing. I HAD A DIRTY BORE!!! And was shooting Shockwaves with supplied sabot!! Too loose.
As you can tell, I can just go on and on and on ad infintum about this subject. I'd love to hear how your new ML2 shoots. I'm sure that you'll be awed. The recoil is even different! Have a great day. Kevin

ColdSteel

I picked up the same ML this week! Looking forward to that extended season during the rut this year. Haven't had a chance to get it out to the range, though... had to fit in a hog hunt!

highway

Hey Kevin B.

Go through the process of cleaning the barrel again. I bought one last year and shot decent. But a nail driver it was not. I didn't know that the bore came with a need be cleaning. Tell me more. Thanks.

Kevin B.

highway said:
Hey Kevin B.

Go through the process of cleaning the barrel again. I bought one last year and shot decent. But a nail driver it was not. I didn't know that the bore came with a need be cleaning. Tell me more. Thanks.
PM Sent