Got it going on! 300gr xtp

fishboy1

After my last sighting in debacle, I went back to square one.

Fresh box of pyrodex pellets, 300gr hornady xtp and a harvester crush rib sabot.

2" group and right on the money! I even found one of the 300gr xtps in the dirt when picking up the target. Amazing expansion and great weight retention. The jacket petals had folded completely around the base and the bullet expanded to about the size of a quarter. I was a little worried about the Non-mag XTP version holding up at MZ velocity but it did great.

Lawwwwd help the deer that gets in my sights this weekend! :)

fishboy1

Almost forgot.
Thanks PMC for talking me through the problem and helping set up a systematic approach to eliminate variables and solve the problem.

That 300gr xtp puts the smack down on deer and I cant wait to put one in the cooler!

fishboy1

Yeah that 300 xtp has given me better results than my 7mag. They almost always fall straight down when I shoot em with the 300xtp.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Lately I've not been able to find any of the standard 300 XTPs. Everyone I deal with is either sold out or on backorder. Next time I guess I'd better get a little larger quantity so this doesn't happen again.

VolDoug

Anyone else have trouble loading them without the barrel being spotless?

I'm a big fella, and it's all I can do to force one down for a 2nd shot in my Omega!

fishboy1

Voldoug,
Try ordering some of the harvest crush rib sabots from Cabelas. They are about half as hard to load as standard sabots and they shoot about the same.

8up

VolDoug said:
Anyone else have trouble loading them without the barrel being spotless?

I'm a big fella, and it's all I can do to force one down for a 2nd shot in my Omega!

I think it might be the tight tolerances in the Omega. I use 250 shockwaves and if you don't swab it good between shots the next one is not going all the way down.

Latest posts