Got a few questions

Rusty Nail

I have access to land in Dickson County and have found many points. That said, I'm still trying to figure out what in the heck I'm doing. Lots of the points (arrow heads) are broken.

* Would those points have been broken during the making of them and then discarded by the indian. Or would they've been broken after the fact like when the ground was getting plowed?

* I always find one piece of the point, but never the other half. Leads me to think that it wasn't always me that broke it when digging. Seems like if I busted the thing, I'd find both halves in the same area. Am I correct on that?

* Since I've found so many in one general area, I'm thinking the points must've been lost or discarded while in a village or campground. Wouldn't game that was killed with the arrow head be found isolated, and not where there are many other points in the same area?

Again, having fun with it, but I got more questions than answers. As I find these things, I'm trying to figure out what might've been going on when the point was deposited in the earth.

Thanks!

grapple

I live in Dickson also. Most points are broken long before we or our previous we's were here. When broken they were ever flaked down to make another point. Most of the intact ones were dropped in camp or in a flinting area, some can also be found in areas where a fire was built to cook game. You can tell by the ground being darker and chunks of charred wood.

If you ever want to go out and look pm me.

Cuttin Caller

Staff member
Hey I live in Dickson as well plus I know another well few ppl on here that is from Dickson we should get together and all go arrowhead hunting. :D

When?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Nevermind I re-read your post.

I would say it is a plow that is breaking the points you are finding.
Usually when a point was broken it was an "impact fracture" or the base or tangs were broken off.
When they are snapped in more or less the center of the point, I would say that would be a plow.

splitter

i would agree that SOME of the points you are finding were from plowing but that's just my opinion...but if they are broke straight down the middle i would call that the impact fracture, like when it was shot and hit a tree or bone it would break down the middle, that's just from what i've experienced

Camp

When you find concentrations of points it's not from hunting in that exact spot. Think about it. Most points that actually killed game remained in the game and were retrieved when processing. Concentrations usually mean a camp or village site. Could be thrown away after removing from game they brought back to the camp or likely broken from plowing. Regardless of how they were broken, odds are if you keep searching the area and you will eventually find whole ones.

Latest posts