Good start up bow

UTGrad

I have never hunted with a bow in my life, but would like to get more time in the woods this year. What is a good bow for the price and quality? I have no idea what to get this year.

TheAirMan

You will be fine with any bow out there you can pick if it fits you right. You don't have to have anywhere near the most expensive bow if that's not what you want. Shoot a bunch and pick the one that fits you best. Since you have never hunted with a bow find someone that knows what they are doing to learn from. Also, be careful with pro shops. The people in there can say a few things and do few things and make people who don't know any better think they know their business. Ask around and find a good one in your area. Just because they sell bows doesn't mean they are a pro shop.

BIGORANGE

For price, quality and customer service you cant beat a Martin bow IMHO. They are priced quite a bit lower than Mathews, Bowtech,PSE, and Hoyt. The Martin will be a resonably priced bow that you will be able to hunt with for years to come.. Proceed with caution archery is very addictive!!!

Radar

rrhoghead said:
jst make sure that the bow fits you. Go to a pro shop and have them measure your draw and such.

Ditto ,draw length is very important . Once you know what draw length you need at a comfortable draw weight , visit several proshops and look at several bows that fit you and your budget .

Radar

If you need any help , holler at me . I'm not too far away , along with a few other forum members . I'd be glad to help you get started out .

Bowdacious

Good advice from all.Try different bows.Have someone teach you proper form.Take Radar up on his offer.He shoots well and will be patient as he teaches you how.If nothing else take him to the pro shop with you for a second opinion.Don't make an impulse buy.

cecil30-30

I started bowhunting this year and didn't even know my draw length when I started or how to properly draw a bow back,but went to BPS and they set me up with a package bow,the Redhead Kronik and it is an awsome bow.I love it.Very accurate,and forgiveing.Pretty short to.It is a Bowtech Diamond with the Bass Pro name on it.Great bow check it out! http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... itemDetail

UTGrad

Thanks for all the input. I just learned from y'all's post that I need to be fitted. Where is a good pro shop in the Nashville area? Could I get lessons? What am expecting to pay for bow, stand, arrows, broadheads, etc? I am going to be out in the woods next year the whole season!

TheAirMan

I don't know about the pro shop. As for how much you will spend it will all depend on what you want. Bow probably $300-$800 if you go new. The rest will probably be in the area of Arrow $50-$100 a dozen. Broadheads $20-$35 for 3. Sights and Rest $50-$100 a piece. You could go higher or lower depending on what you want. You don't have to get the most expensive. I would stay away from plastic though. You could also get a package deal that would be a bow and all the accessories together if you wanted but I would prefer to buy the seperate.

BowGuy84

Go to BPS. They will have the widest diversity of bows and brands, you can get an idea of price and everything just by seeing so many bows. Figure about $250 on top of a kit bow (bow with quiver rest sight and so on) to get you started.

As others have said fit is key. Other suggestions I'd make to a beginner

- get a whisker biscuit rest...simple fully functional hunting rest best on market imo
- use a peep sight (any pro shop will recommend this if you ask)
- get an armguard! (will save you some pain and you'll need it come hunting season anyways
-once your set up go shoot some 3d tournaments they are great practice, good people and good place to learn.

I'll probably shoot a couple around Nashville this spring so let me know if you want to go.

BowGuy84

ohh almost forgot...make sure you know your dominate eye! My brother is right handed but shoots left handed bc that is his dominate eye. If all you have done is shot a rifle you could possibly be in the same boat and it can give you fits if you try and shoot opposite of dominate eye

UTGrad

BowGuy84 said:
Go to BPS. They will have the widest diversity of bows and brands, you can get an idea of price and everything just by seeing so many bows. Figure about $250 on top of a kit bow (bow with quiver rest sight and so on) to get you started.

- get a whisker biscuit rest...simple fully functional hunting rest best on market imo
- get an armguard! (will save you some pain and you'll need it come hunting season anyways
-once your set up go shoot some 3d tournaments they are great practice, good people and good place to learn.

I'll probably shoot a couple around Nashville this spring so let me know if you want to go.

I will check out Bass Pro Shops. One thing I want to avoid is go cheap then later upgrade. I would rather go medium high and stay there.

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
UTGrad said:
BowGuy84 said:

I will check out Bass Pro Shops. One thing I want to avoid is go cheap then later upgrade. I would rather go medium high and stay there.

Go the used route.

If i were you and buying new I'd give parker a look.

Radar

For a beginner , I recommend getting setup with a new rig . The last thing you need is an ill fitting used rig that will lead to poor shooting habits or poor setup issues . Get setup right by a proshop , then once you know your draw length and how to setup a bow , you can go the used route .
Here is a good guide to get started measuring the correct draw length .
http://www.huntersfriend.com/draw-length-weight.htm
http://www.huntersfriend.com/drawlength.htm

Give me a holler if you need any help getting started .

BowGuy84

Buckblaster said:
UTGrad said:
BowGuy84 said:

Go the used route.

If i were you and buying new I'd give parker a look.

ditto Radar on the reason to start new.

I shoot a parker, love it and have killed 12 deer to date with it. But unlike SEC football teams (go vols!), there are other viable options and Im looking into them all for my next bow...leaning towards a PSE X-force.

Hoss

Well UTGrad unfortunately there is only one pro shop in Nashville. It is Hermitage Archery in the Hermitage area. But from Franklin you might try Columbia or Clarksville and Ashland City.

Take Radar up on his offer or maybe I could meet with you. It is very important to get equipment that fits correctly. The brand bow is not that important, as long as it fits. With a retail giant or pawn shop you will get little or no support after the point of sale. That is the difference in an archery retailer and a pro shop. Not a problem unless something breaks, slips or changes.

Latest posts