Good start to the year

Andy S.

^^^ a 5 yard straight down shot is as much guess work, prayer and luck as anything. 99.9% of hunters do not practice that shot from an elevated position and most cannot execute it at the moment of truth. Furthermore, the kill zone is extremely minimized and you almost always only get one lung if you make the shot, which is less than ideal. Of course, the spine is an option, but then a follow up shot is in order most of the time. It is not a shot I would not want if I had other options.

catman529

Andy S.":1s7rxzb7 said:
^^^ a 5 yard straight down shot is as much guess work, prayer and luck as anything. 99.9% of hunters do not practice that shot from an elevated position and most cannot execute it at the moment of truth. Furthermore, the kill zone is extremely minimized and you almost always only get one lung if you make the shot, which is less than ideal. Of course, the spine is an option, but then a follow up shot is in order most of the time. It is not a shot I would not want if I had other options.
I've made some bad shots with my bow, but they were almost all near the end of my comfortable range. 5 yards put the pin where you want (aim for the exit) and it will hit vitals. 5 yards is plenty enough angle to hit both lungs. 10 yards is probably my favorite chip shot, but I won't hesitate to pop one closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BAMA BOW MERKER

Thanks guys. I actually hit this deer in his left backstrap. I'll take close shot, but I killed many a gray squirrel, coons, possums, yotes etc practicing that shot as a kid lol

Andy S.

BAMA BOW MERKER":fvmqkrnv said:
Andy S.":fvmqkrnv said:
BAMA BOW MERKER":fvmqkrnv said:
20 yd pin at the bottom of the brisket and he ran about 40 yds
Takes practice and confidence to execute this "judgement call" at the moment of truth. Congrats to you. Are you getting him mounted?

Yes sir. I'm getting the velvet freeze dried and doing a Euro with him.
And I've definitely shot high on that same shot scenario before.
Post up some pics when you get him finalized. Double drops is rare and very cool IMO.

BAMA BOW MERKER

Attachments

• 6DC243C9-2968-4E7A-8122-780C9193C538.jpeg
    6DC243C9-2968-4E7A-8122-780C9193C538.jpeg
    733.6 KB · Views: 86

Latest posts