Good Day Saturday on Douglas - 3-16-24

East TN Bowhunter

I caught my limit on Douglas last Saturday by 2PM. The wind died between 10-2 and I started railing on them. I ended up culling a few 10 inch ones for 12-13inch ones. It was the best day I have had in awhile. The were in 20-30 FOW and 2-7FT deep out roaming/sun bathing. About half were full of eggs. Water temp was hovering around 60. These were all 12-15inch fish in the pic.

Attachments

• 3-14-24 - Limit of Crappie.jpg
    3-14-24 - Limit of Crappie.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 12

killingtime 41

Douglas use to be fantastic even when after limits were set. That lake is way over fished nowadays. Crappie numbers are actually much lower than when there were no limits. They still can be caught just like anywhere else now though. Just not a hot lake anymore probably never will be as good as it use to be. Just to many people. I still will fish it. Just not as often the boat ramps are just to crowded especially summer

chimneyman

WHAT A TOURNAMENT 🎣!!

Douglas Lake Results

East TN Crappie Club held its 6th tournament of the season on Douglas lake today. We had 18 boats participate in the tournament and all 18 weighed fish. The day started off with a little rain and a congested boat ramp, but quickly turned good once the anglers hit the water and started catching fish. This years tournament showed the largest weights ever recorded on Douglas in the 10 year history of our club.

The team taking the win 🏆 today with the heavies bag ever competitively weighed on Douglas at 11.79 Lbs was the them of Matt Xenos and Josh Sanders. Great bag men. Congrats. They reported catching there fish in open water with a white and chartreuse BoneHead Tackle stump bug. They caught there fish suspended 2 to 10 ft deep in 20 to 30 ft of water.

In second place 🥈 with a bag of 11.52 Lbs and the winners of the Sniper Marine LLC Nog Fish was Larue Isom and Jason Grimes. They also fished open water and used a SLAB HAPPY LURES bait in whit and chartreuse. Awesome bag gentlemen!

In 3rd place 🥉 was the team of Joel Nash and Skeeter Hayes with 11.31 Lbs. They to fished open water casting to fish with a white and chartreuse crappie reaper bait. Way to go!

In 4th place weighing in a bag of 11.12 was the team of Greg Estes and Quinton Barnett. Great bag!

The winners of the ACC Crappie Stix roll the dice award winning 2 now rods was Johnny Vrooks and Addison Davidson. Congrats guys.

Congrats to all who participated in the event and the most important is everyone left and came back safely. Amen for that. Our next event will be on Watts Bar Lake March 16th going out of Kingston City Park. See you all there. Douglas is still a Great Lake

Biggun4214

Douglas is lake level specific during the crappie spawn. If the crappie start to spawn and the lake raises too fast then the spawn is generally poor. If the lake level is much below 980 and the crappie spawn then the spawn is generally poor.
Before size and creel limits, Douglas looked like a small city on summer nights. I heard tales of 500, 600, 700+ days before limits.

Biggun4214

About 10 years ago we did seine samples looking for fry on some of the boat ramps. We actually found 3 different size fry in the samples. This was an oddity because it showed that at least that year crappie had staggered the spawn, some in April, some in May, and some in June.
There are years that from November through February there are well over 1M crappie taken from Douglas.
It's no t unusual for there to be well over 100 boats a day each in 5 different locations on Douglas and over 200 bank fishermen bringing out an average of 10-12 fish per person.

Last edited:

killingtime 41

WHAT A TOURNAMENT 🎣!!

Douglas Lake Results

East TN Crappie Club held its 6th tournament of the season on Douglas lake today. We had 18 boats participate in the tournament and all 18 weighed fish. The day started off with a little rain and a congested boat ramp, but quickly turned good once the anglers hit the water and started catching fish. This years tournament showed the largest weights ever recorded on Douglas in the 10 year history of our club.

The team taking the win 🏆 today with the heavies bag ever competitively weighed on Douglas at 11.79 Lbs was the them of Matt Xenos and Josh Sanders. Great bag men. Congrats. They reported catching there fish in open water with a white and chartreuse BoneHead Tackle stump bug. They caught there fish suspended 2 to 10 ft deep in 20 to 30 ft of water.

In second place 🥈 with a bag of 11.52 Lbs and the winners of the Sniper Marine LLC Nog Fish was Larue Isom and Jason Grimes. They also fished open water and used a SLAB HAPPY LURES bait in whit and chartreuse. Awesome bag gentlemen!

In 3rd place 🥉 was the team of Joel Nash and Skeeter Hayes with 11.31 Lbs. They to fished open water casting to fish with a white and chartreuse crappie reaper bait. Way to go!

In 4th place weighing in a bag of 11.12 was the team of Greg Estes and Quinton Barnett. Great bag!

The winners of the ACC Crappie Stix roll the dice award winning 2 now rods was Johnny Vrooks and Addison Davidson. Congrats guys.

Congrats to all who participated in the event and the most important is everyone left and came back safely. Amen for that. Our next event will be on Watts Bar Lake March 16th going out of Kingston City Park. See you all there. Douglas is still a Great Lake
All with lovescope I presume. I know Matt xenos uses it I've seen his videos.

Latest posts