Good/bad timing for this... scope went bad

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
My Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that has lived faithfully on my 30-06 for the past several years has decided to lay down and not hold a zero. I went to check zero "one last time" and it keeps wandering with 2 different proven loads. Bad thing is, I leave for Colorado early Wednesday morning to hunt elk for the first time in my life, and I have to work on Tuesday. I guess it's better than finding out when I check zero at hunting elevation, or even worse when I'm taking a shot on an elk, but I wish I would've known a month or two ago.

I've robbed a vx2 3-9x40 off of a youth rifle that is unlikely to see use this season, but was really wanting to use better glass out there, so my primary rifle may have just become my backup. Only other option is to visit Sportsman's Warehouse first thing I'm the morning to buy a vx3i, or buy a vxr off of a buddy, but that would be an unexpected expense... anyone with real world experience with the glass on these 3 that could tell me the difference and if it's worth making the emergency purchase vs keeping what I have?

Prompt responses are really appreciated.

DaveB

I hunted Colorado elk and muley's with a VX III 3.5 x 10.

The problem is not the purchase or use what I got, its the calendar. You are flat out of time.

I don't think you can go wrong but you need to get that VX2 mounted and hit the range with your intended elk load. Get it zero'd, take some offhand shots.

I wish you the very best of luck.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Thank you, sir. I've been practicing in field positions with both the 30-06 and a .22, so I feel well prepared as far as practicing goes, but I want to make sure that I'm putting adequate glass on the rifle. My Tikka 30-06 "backup rifle" has another Zeiss scope on it, and I'm pleased with the optical clarity of it, but it is shooting 165 TTSXs and my primary (Savage 116 that I've had for years and will drive tacks) is shooting 180 NABs. The vx2 doesn't have bad glass, but the edge to edge clarity is not the best, and the "variable eye relief" makes it almost worthless at the higher end of its magnification range. I didn't know if dropping the coin on a different scope would help with that, and I should be able to get it on and sighted in tomorrow no matter which way I go.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
Hate when that kind of stuff happens. As for Leupold glass, the VX3i is an improvement but as you have found, their erector assembly sucks for zero retention and return to zero. I also despise the variable eye relief as well.

I'd offer a Nightforce scope for you to use on your hunt but it's probably a day late. If I can help in any way, let me know.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I just ordered a vx3i 3.5-10, and it will be waiting on me when I get back home. It would have costed me $100+ more to buy it locally. I'll put the vx2 back on the youth rifle after I get back, and I will test Zeiss' warranty department, although I have little confidence that it will be quick or painless.

TNRifleman

EastTNHunter":2y8pcrjk said:
Thank you, sir. I've been practicing in field positions with both the 30-06 and a .22, so I feel well prepared as far as practicing goes, but I want to make sure that I'm putting adequate glass on the rifle. My Tikka 30-06 "backup rifle" has another Zeiss scope on it, and I'm pleased with the optical clarity of it, but it is shooting 165 TTSXs and my primary (Savage 116 that I've had for years and will drive tacks) is shooting 180 NABs. The vx2 doesn't have bad glass, but the edge to edge clarity is not the best, and the "variable eye relief" makes it almost worthless at the higher end of its magnification range. I didn't know if dropping the coin on a different scope would help with that, and I should be able to get it on and sighted in tomorrow no matter which way I go.

I am a big accubond fan but 165 gr TTSX out of an '06 would be more than adequate for elk out to, and past 400 yards. THat being said, if yo are wanting to hunt the Savage, the VX 2 has pretty good glass and 9 power on the top end is capable of taking an elk at a fair poke. Probably much further than I would want to shoot one.

bull

You are in good shape with a proven 30-06. I have killed elk with a .270, 30-06, and 7mag. The scopes were set on 3x or 4x in each case.

None of the elk knew the difference. It has already been said--practice and be confident in your weapon.

Good luck!

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Finally got things resolved with Zeiss (my delays, not theirs). They told me that the scope could not be repaired, and asked that I call them. Since that scope is discontinued, they offered me Conquest HD5 3-15x42 with locking turrets instead. Needless to say, I'm okay with that. :D

gtk

Staff member
EastTNHunter":2a2z8hoi said:
Finally got things resolved with Zeiss (my delays, not theirs). They told me that the scope could not be repaired, and asked that I call them. Since that scope is discontinued, they offered me Conquest HD5 3-15x42 with locking turrets instead. Needless to say, I'm okay with that. :D
awesome.. i have 3-9x50 zeiss.. tell me again how you damaged yours to get a new scope ? :p (i love my zeiss)

Andy S.

EastTNHunter":37lp9stn said:
I bet you are. Glad to hear they took care of you, exactly what they should have done. Good customer service goes A LOOOOOOONG way these days. Thanks for updating this thread.

LanceS4803

Andy S.":f2tw5z23 said:
Glad to hear they took care of you, exactly what they should have done. Good customer service goes A LOOOOOOONG way these days.

It seems that building brand loyalty has been forgotten. And it doesn't just apply to the original purchaser; look at how many people know of the positive experience he had with Zeiss.

Latest posts