Going through phases as a deer hunter

JCDEERMAN

Several reasons go into the decision to be picky, but probably the biggest reason for me is the knowing that there are much bigger bucks in the woods. Patience is a virtue.
I keep trying to put my finger on it. Having several days to think about it, I have come to the determination that it is his tine length. Every time I see really tall tines, my chest gets to thumping. I don't think he has a tine over 6-7 inches.....and the side he presented to me was his left side and that side is his "weaker" side - shorter tines than his right side.

megalomaniac

Killing deer is just too easy. There isn't much of a challenge on well managed land. And you are right, there is just something satisfying about NOT shooting a nice buck. The 130in 8pt I passed up Monday morning gave me an unreal experience I would not have had... watching him make 4 scrapes, then the little 2.5y/o following behind each one he made refreshing them with his scent.

The buck I passed will probably get shot by one of my friends or family members, and that's fine by me. He just wasn't 'the one' for me.

JCDEERMAN

The buck I passed will probably get shot by one of my friends or family members, and that's fine by me. He just wasn't 'the one' for me.
Absolutely. That is the best way to put it. I've already written him off. That moment made my season. If/when he's shot, I just hope it's by one of our guys. I will be thrilled for them! Just not the one for me.

JCDEERMAN

Well, he made it through our heaviest hunting week/weekend on our place. I got an even better look at him Sunday morning - 15 yards. I am thrilled he's still alive and just hope he lays low. He is a roamer and has been pictured just about everywhere on our property.