Going for it on 4th down?

PalsPal

Has there ever been a time when more teams go for it on 4th down?

It's great when it works, but when it doesn't the coach looks like an idiot.

On 4th and short, I can understand a little more, but would much rather have a qb under center. I guess I'm just old school.

In my mind, I think the risk is too great for a bad play to actually prevent my team a chance from winning.

THEdonkey0515

I don't mind it on 4th and short when your in that in between area little too close to punt just outside of field goal Range on your side of the 50.

I don't like it much on your side of the 50. Your right the coach looks like a complete idiot when you go for it on 4th & 2 down on your own 45 and it gets stuffed in the back field for a loss. The momentum shift is huge if the defense makes that stop also

PillsburyDoughboy

Analytics. Depending on the size of the team they could have a whole think tank of coaches doing nothing but Analytics.

PillsburyDoughboy

Has there ever been a time when more teams go for it on 4th down?

It's great when it works, but when it doesn't the coach looks like an idiot.

On 4th and short, I can understand a little more, but would much rather have a qb under center. I guess I'm just old school.

In my mind, I think the risk is too great for a bad play to actually prevent my team a chance from winning.
Must be a Jimbo Fisher Fan.

PalsPal

Never understood when it's 4th and inches why the qb is in the shotgun. If you can't get under center, touch and go and make that then you should've punted or stayed in the weight room longer.

The only think I can figure is they don't trust their interior line. And they have a mobile QB who you trust to make the right read.

Oh well, I expect to see several this weekend from both teams.

From the Fl/Ky game:

Additionally, Billy Napier's playcalling was rather questionable at times including two failed fourth-down conversions in his own territory that ultimately sealed the Gators' fate on that wet night in the Swamp.

Mescalero

It's all analytics (but I too question the 4th and one sneak out of shotgun). Seem to recall, 4th and one inside opponent's 42 analytics says go for it. A punt into the end zone only nets 22 yards and it's a 59 yard FG. Percentages favor going for it vs the FG try. Something like that.

Latest posts