Gobbler density.

Bgoodman30

I am just curious what kind of gobbler numbers you guys are encountering on private land? Like known gobbling LB's on your side?

The jake numbers are encouraging but right now I am looking at one bird per 200 acres between 5 different farms in prime areas in Middle TN 2 died early season so now 2 total roosting on 800 acres.. Its hard to know what's typical anymore because I still know some farms that are loaded?

Bgoodman30

About 1 per 500 acres on average sounds about right before season opened (about 1 per 1500 acres now)

But of course they move around a lot... so the next day you might have 4 per 500 acres, then the following day zero per 500 acres.
Yikes.. I with these turkeys would move around more I am getting tired of hunting the neighbors turkeys..

Boll Weevil

Beginning of the season I'd estimate 1-1.5 toms/100ac. I keep track of both jakes seen and gobblers heard from year to year and it's not unusual to produce 15-20 males birds a year a few of which I kill, some that leave, and natural mortality/predation.

AT Hiker

Nowhere near what it used to be. Im guessing the areas I hunt mirror what Mega has said. From a visual count of winter flocks and what Im hearing on what I think are "prime gobbling" days, I say its maybe slightly better than 1 per 500 acre.
Wanna see something wild? I just looked at LBLs total checked in for the year. 15 males have been checked in, 60,000 acres in TN....thats 1 killed per 4,000 acres!!!!!

**I must add, Im not sure how this is reported. If you check one in at the weigh station is it also reported to TWRA?

megalomaniac

Wow, 1 killed per 4000ac is few enough to make me wonder why even allow hunting? To me, that doesn't seem to even be a huntable population.
It's a huntable population... just not a good hunt.

Most MS WMAs average around 1 killed per 2000 acres or so. Around 1 killed per 4000 acres in southeast MS WMAs. But kill numbers only loosely trend with overall population. It's fun to look at the 'man days' required to kill a bird. 30 to 40 days hunting to kill a bird is average here, with some locales requiring 90 to 100 man days of hunting to kill a single bird!

But then the flip side is also true... there are tiny properties that have a TON of birds. There is an old fellow a couple miles down the road from one of my farms who has had fed birds so long in his yard he can open his back door, call them, and they come running to him. He has about 60 acres and it's no hunting anywhere nearby. These birds are way too visible, don't shy away from cars or people, and are basically pets. I love having them near, because I can use that flock to judge how birds are behaving a certain day. At one point a couple weeks ago, he had 12 adult toms in his yard.

Just a couple miles away, I've only had 1 tom on my 220ac farm this season (and I'm leaving him alone because he and 4 hens have started using the property I've improved with food plots and road/ trail management hoping to get a flock started there.).

AT Hiker

Wow, 1 killed per 4000ac is few enough to make me wonder why even allow hunting? To me, that doesn't seem to even be a huntable population.
Its gotten horrible but when you put reported numbers to personal experience it just solidifies what most of us already know.
Im still not 100% confident in the reporting system but I can guarantee its not what it used to be. Those "normal" yearly harvest are now taking its toll on the little to no poult production.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
For several years, up till 2017, the farms I hunted averaged 2-3 per 100 acres on the land I had permission to hunt on. This year it was more like 1 per 4-500 acres two weeks ago and half that now. The last five years has been maybe 1 per 1000 acres as a best guess. Overall where I hunt the numbers of both toms and hens is down down down. The only plus is that this year there have been more turkeys and the leases haven't had hardly anyone hunting the whole year so far. In fact, I'd say hunter numbers this year are down 80-90% from every year I've been here. THAT is great news for the population of turkeys.

woodsman04

For several years, up till 2017, the farms I hunted averaged 2-3 per 100 acres on the land I had permission to hunt on. This year it was more like 1 per 4-500 acres two weeks ago and half that now. The last five years has been maybe 1 per 1000 acres as a best guess. Overall where I hunt the numbers of both toms and hens is down down down. The only plus is that this year there have been more turkeys and the leases haven't had hardly anyone hunting the whole year so far. In fact, I'd say hunter numbers this year are down 80-90% from every year I've been here. THAT is great news for the population of turkeys.
Been like this to me since 2007 or so. Some years you will hear 5-6, some 2-3, some 0 (like last year) and usually 1-2.

Southern Lawrence and Giles just ain't got them. This is more than me listening, it's driving 100-130 miles daily in both counties seeing very few. Northern Giles I still think is ok.
And I don't just drive major highways, this is country roads….

megalomaniac

The only plus is that this year there have been more turkeys and the leases haven't had hardly anyone hunting the whole year so far.
This has really helped me.

My 1000 ac farm had 20 toms each year using it on average back in the mid 90s. Another 20 on the surrounding properties. By the early 2000s, you would hear 4 or 5 shots around you every Saturday. One neighbor killed 16 toms opening weekend (multiple friends and family... a dove shoot). Since the population collapse late 2000s, hunting pressure on the surrounding farms has significantly declined. (And from me as well... I hardly hunt that farm any more, just because there are so few birds to hunt)

Quite satisfying to call in the huge bird I killed last Fri off the neighbors who used to kill a dozen or more opening weekend and no longer hunt....

So that particular farm went from 1 tom per 100 ac for 15 years down to 1 tom per 750 ac for the past 15 years.

But because there is so little hunting pressure around now, the few toms live for years. The bird I killed with 2 in spurs came off that same farm 6 or 7 yrs ago.

TheLBLman

Farm I hunt in Houston County, its 400 acres roughly, I'd say there is 5-10 different toms that use it regularly.

In many situations, there will be 5-10 different Toms making up most of the Toms using @ 4,000 acres of which they are frequently seen on 400 of those acres.

Toms move around much like buck deer during the rut.
Often, the Toms we claim on our farm's area as "ours",
are the same Toms someone else over a mile away on a different farm
is seeing as "theirs".

If we take a single "spot", then measure 1 mile in 4 directions,
we would be standing in the middle of 2,560 acres of a 4-mile square.
Any turkeys seen around our "spot" would only have to travel @ 1 mile
in any direction to be seen on the entirety of that 2,560 acres.

TheLBLman

I currently have a fair idea how many long-bearded Toms are on a particular 3,000-plus acre private tract of good contiguous turkey habitat in Stewart County. Week before the season opened, I estimated the density at 10 to 20 Toms (2 yrs or older), which would have been 1 Tom per every 150 to 300 acres. But they were very "bunched" and not uniformly distributed across this acreage.

Just to be clear, am referring to 1 yr old males as Jakes; 2 yrs or older as Toms.
Varying from year to year depending on the prior year's nesting success & survival,
the number of Jakes can be either more or less the number of Toms.

Two weeks into the TN statewide season, I'm now more accurately estimating the density at 6 to 12 Toms, or 1 Tom per every 250 to 500 acres. They are now less "bunched" and more uniformly distributed across this acreage.

But when the season ends, I expect there to be only 3 to 6 survivors on this 3,000 plus acres. The ones of those which ultimately survive until the next spring + the surviving Jakes, will become the expected 6 to 12 Toms available come Spring 2023.

Keep in mind an estimate is just that, and it is fluid, and changing,
seasonally and annually.

But for the past many years, it's been trending downward in areas that a decade and farther back had a much greater density than now. What's most ironic is the habitat in many these areas appears to be more conducive to better nesting success now than then. Same can be said for the quail, which have nearly become extinct, despite habitat improvements.

The bottom line is that many areas cannot sustain an ongoing turkey harvest
of even 1 Tom per hunter annually. Doesn't matter if we're talking 1 hunter on 300 acres or 30 hunters on 3,000 acres. The resource is limited.

redblood

I am just curious what kind of gobbler numbers you guys are encountering on private land? Like known gobbling LB's on your side?

The jake numbers are encouraging but right now I am looking at one bird per 200 acres between 5 different farms in prime areas in Middle TN 2 died early season so now 2 total roosting on 800 acres.. Its hard to know what's typical anymore because I still know some farms that are loaded?
If i only had 2 on 800 acres…..id be leave them be!

redblood

I currently have a fair idea how many long-bearded Toms are on a particular 3,000-plus acre private tract of good contiguous turkey habitat in Stewart County. Week before the season opened, I estimated the density at 10 to 20 Toms (2 yrs or older), which would have been 1 Tom per every 150 to 300 acres. But they were very "bunched" and not uniformly distributed across this acreage.

Just to be clear, am referring to 1 yr old males as Jakes; 2 yrs or older as Toms.
Varying from year to year depending on the prior year's nesting success & survival,
the number of Jakes can be either more or less the number of Toms.

Two weeks into the TN statewide season, I'm now more accurately estimating the density at 6 to 12 Toms, or 1 Tom per every 250 to 500 acres. They are now less "bunched" and more uniformly distributed across this acreage.

But when the season ends, I expect there to be only 3 to 6 survivors on this 3,000 plus acres. The ones of those which ultimately survive until the next spring + the surviving Jakes, will become the expected 6 to 12 Toms available come Spring 2023.

Keep in mind an estimate is just that, and it is fluid, and changing,
seasonally and annually.

But for the past many years, it's been trending downward in areas that a decade and farther back had a much greater density than now. What's most ironic is the habitat in many these areas appears to be more conducive to better nesting success now than then. Same can be said for the quail, which have nearly become extinct, despite habitat improvements.

The bottom line is that many areas cannot sustain an ongoing turkey harvest
of even 1 Tom per hunter annually. Doesn't matter if we're talking 1 hunter on 300 acres or 30 hunters on 3,000 acres. The resource is limited.
Agreed. I killed 1 and stopped. My son killed 1. They sre strutting in my fields everyday, but you have to leave some for seed

Latest posts