go-no go gauges ??

mr.big

how much tolerance is there between the go no go gauges,,from the shortest the go gauge will go to the longest the no go gauge wont??

Greg M

No, usually there is a difference of .006 to .007" Great headspacing is about .002" over the "GO". i.e. a .300 Win Mag "GO" is .220, " NO GO" is .227". I turn the barrel until I get barrel against lugs, measure the shelf, cut down to .224"-.226" to offset the bolt face recess of .003". This gets a headspace of around .002". Tight fit, no excess pressure build up, and little to no chance of piercing a primer.

280longshot

Mr Big or Greg

I have a 7-08 barrel coming for my Savage 10. I have read about how to headspace with the GO NO-GO gauge. I need to buy some gauges and a wrench, do you have any advice on the matter.

I have seen them for sale at various places but are the gauges all the same as far as quality and what about the wrench? I have a smooth nut not the notched nut on the barrel.

Thanks
Steve

mr.big

I got my gauges at Grizzly and wrench from Midway,,actually the wrench for your nut came with the notched wrench and you can have it if you want,,it comes with a brass shim you wrap around the nut then you tighten the wrench around it,,I will see if I can find the shim,but I would assume you could get the brass feeler gauge from a cheap set and use that for your shim,,

let me see if I can find it and PM me your address and I will ship you the wrench,,

Latest posts