Giles County chasing

LanceS4803

CRAZY morning in Giles Co.

Tried Buck Bomb for the first time (doe estrus). Sprayed a little on a scrape a couple of hundred yards from the stand and then a little on my boots for the walk in. Also a short spray on the trail 15yds from the tree. An hour later a spike is hot on my footsteps, I thought he was going to go straight to my tree.

A little after that the woods exploded. Deer flying by at Mach 1, first right, then left, then back to right. A nice bodied 6pt was pushing these deer back and forth, yearlings and does.
A nice doe finally stopped 27yds from me, ideal broadside. But I think she was so keyed up from the buck that when that arrow released, she dropped and it just missed.
27yds, and a complete miss! And to add insult to injury, I lost the arrow.

swhackmaster

New to the site.
Sounds like a real good hunt. Will be hunting Marshal co. starting tuesday-sunday hope we didnt miss the good rutting activity

MDBriggs

I hunt the county line between marshall and giles and the bucks have def. been on their feet. Ive seen 5-6 different bucks with every outing. Only 1.5-3.5s though... waiting on more mature deer

Jarred525

Yep, I am in the southern part of the county. Things have slowed down the last 2 or 3 days. Hoping they will be moving in the warm weather this weekend. I an planning on hunting hard next week when the front comes through.

Terence

I love what Im reading here Im hunting right at the state line in giles and will be there for 4 days or so .

Nealmeally

MDBriggs said:
I hunt the county line between marshall and giles and the bucks have def. been on their feet. Ive seen 5-6 different bucks with every outing. Only 1.5-3.5s though... waiting on more mature deer

I'm in same area, east of 65. Been seeing same size bucks you have since MZ season opened. Seen a little chasing but not any mature bucks. A couple 3.5s cruising opening of rifle that I passed. I still don't think many does have came in yet. I'm thinking next couple weeks will be good.

MDBriggs

Nealmeally said:
MDBriggs said:

I'm in same area, east of 65. Been seeing same size bucks you have since MZ season opened. Seen a little chasing but not any mature bucks. A couple 3.5s cruising opening of rifle that I passed. I still don't think many does have came in yet. I'm thinking next couple weeks will be good.
Weve had a few older deer chasing, but mostly just cruising through. One of the bigger bucks weve had on the property has moved on due to rut, but it seems like a new ones are always moving through... Im guessing just luck of the draw with cruising bucks

TN24081

@Jared yea the 1st phase has ended on my farm in middle/southeastern giles county 3-4 days ago which is kinda good in my opinion, because the mature bucks have been locked down but will now be out on the prowl a little more. I;ve seen 2 in the last 3 days but both were not on my property. Some of these yearling does will come in estrous sometime, I haven't given much thought as of when but sometime early december. I've been fortunate to spend 5-6 hours in the woods just about every day this season and have witnessed some of the best rutting activity I've ever seen. There's still some good hunting left though !

swhackmaster

We havent been to our property since gun opener. Saw several 2.5 but none of the big boys we have had on camera. Hope this next week will be the time!
hunting west of 65 near Lewisburg

LanceS4803

Still chasing this morning, although it was the spike first. 4pt was back about 0900, cruising.

BUT, the stunner of the day was a monster under my stand. I've heard of a 12pt in the area, but had never seen him or even a rub indicating something that big. At 0540, deer started appearing and went almost directly under my stand. With the full moon, I could make out one with a big body and huge neck. Lots of antler points. He moved on towards the field with the rest of the deer, but didn't come back with them an a couple of hours later.
I have no idea where he came from or where he went. If only he came through about 30 minutes later.

Latest posts