Gibson Co

Mama Doe

While deer hunting last year I saw about 20 hens that had been moved to the area I hunt. Before deer season I had my trail cam out and caught all the hens on it. Out of all those hens there was not a single Tom I even looked for Jakes and there were none! Why would the TWRA just put hens out there?

TheLBLman

How do you know they were "moved" there by TWRA?

Could have just been young birds?

"Jakes" sometimes don't have visible beards yet even on the opening weekend of turkey season.

If TWRA did move a big flock of hens into that area, they either felt there were a few Toms nearby, or maybe they released some, too. Toms and hens will usually not "flock" directly together in the fall and winter, like sometimes I see 20 Toms in one hollow, and 20 hens in the next.

pigpen

Wes Parrish said:
How do you know they were "moved" there by TWRA?

Could have just been young birds?

"Jakes" sometimes don't have visible beards yet even on the opening weekend of turkey season.

If TWRA did move a big flock of hens into that area, they either felt there were a few Toms nearby, or maybe they released some, too. Toms and hens will usually not "flock" directly together in the fall and winter, like sometimes I see 20 Toms in one hollow, and 20 hens in the next.

Ditto.....that time of year the toms won't be with the hens.

WTM

ditto on above posts. one other thing, sometimes you may see turkeys in one area but they wont be there come spring. turkeys have been known to travel 20-30 miles during fall and winter. turkey behavior during that time is food and survival.

at the first part of spring they will move into their breeding and nesting patterns. usually by the middle of march male birds will have established their pecking order and are close to if not with hens at that time. this is a very good time to scout for places to hunt. scout too early and more than likely you wont see a bird come opening morning.

Latest posts