Struggling in Houston Co.

SJS

Been hunting everyday here in Houston Co. and there seems to be as many birds as last year but I have yet to have a Tom respond to my calls. They will gobble in the tree in the morning, but not to my calls, they will fly down and never hear from them again. But then two hours later you hear one gobble, you respond and nothing. I see a Tom walk across the pasture out back with no hens. Just not sure what's going on. Probably just a little early in this area. Anyone else experiencing similar results? Got another week of hunting before I have head back to Michigan. Hope it takes off!

Dennis

Don't give up. I also thought it was slower than usual for this time of year, but it is changing fast. I am seeing gobblers strutting for hens all over the place when I drive my son to school in the morning.

Chief44

I'm in Houston county also. Birds on the places I'm hunting seem to be about normal for this time of year. My area has a good population of hens and once they fly down into a bunch of them, they generally shut up for me to. Once more of these hens get bread, things should pick up a little. Do you mind saying what area of the county you hunt. Just wondering if we are close. You can PM me if you would rather. Good luck.

KPH

Been hunting everyday here in Houston Co. and there seems to be as many birds as last year but I have yet to have a Tom respond to my calls. They will gobble in the tree in the morning, but not to my calls, they will fly down and never hear from them again. But then two hours later you hear one gobble, you respond and nothing. I see a Tom walk across the pasture out back with no hens. Just not sure what's going on. Probably just a little early in this area. Anyone else experiencing similar results? Got another week of hunting before I have head back to Michigan. Hope it takes off!
Have the same thing in Stewart co not far from Huston. I don't think love is in the air for them yet.

LenS

My part of western Montgomery County is definitely different that the last few years. All of the birds are still in a big flock rather than scattered. Good roost gobbling then silence once they hit the ground. Hens are very vocal and are heading straight to the gobblers from the roost. Hoping they scatter soon.

Latest posts