Getting right

Kevin Snook

For those of you with a tag in your pocket, we are just about to the point in the season where the 1.5in spurs birds will be falling. Most hunters tagged out already on the 2 yos... but the old toms are about to get lonely and make mistakes. May is the month to kill the limbhangers.
I've killed many bigguns that I'd fooled with early during the first week of May..😉

Carlos

I missed what should have been an easy shot on Saturday morning, and then again on Saturday evening.
Since then, I haven't heard any gobbling, or had much action at all.

I hope you're right as well.

Harold Money jr

I went to my farm today at about 11am. I heard one gobble 3-4 times where I was gonna go, I sat down and slow called and he never answered me back so I'm betting he was still henned up. I moved to try him from a different angle and ended up running a bunch of deer right through where he was. I did some chores and when I left at 3:00 there was two freshly single gobblers coming out of the woods to feed and strut. I think you're correct, they'll be better earlier as each day goes by.

MidTennFisher

You are absolutely correct. Early season really just has more enjoyable weather. But it also has a lot of unbred hens you can't compete with and a lot of hunting pressure that can ruin your hunt.

Late season has fewer hunters because they either tagged out or give up, and most of the hens are bred. Those gobblers are going to get lonely and be more receptive to your calling. They may not gobble 50 times but they'll come check you out.

30-06 type of guy

you get some pics? I love to see hooks that size!
IMG_9116.jpeg
IMG_9115.jpeg

Latest posts