Get your seed in the ground

Coach B

I only had .30" when I left the house this morning. However, it looks like a pretty good batch of rain is building every so slightly northward right along the river in Wayne county. I'm hoping it will continue and brush me here in Marshall county.

Worm

2-Step Enabled
Oh well the front from the west pushed it further south. I worked all day moving stands yesterday and looking over plots. They are doing really good from the last rain we had. Now if some deer would move in and eat up.

BSK

Worm,

I'm shocked that the wheat seed I had on the ground that got rained on for the first time last weekend has already germinated and grown to 3 to 4 inches high.

And even more shocking was about 1/2 of the buckwheat I threw on top the ground the first week of our 2-month drought germinated and is up a couple of inches. I'm amazed the seed to could live that long in such brutal conditions.

Kirk

As soon as I saw the forecast yesterday afternoon, I planted my food plots. Got finished right at dark and the rain came in around
10:pM. Rained all night! Actually got some nice rain for the first time in weeks.

BSK

Worm said:
BSK the turkeys on my place would have eaten the buckwheat by now.

Oh they certainly did take their toll (and still are), but from all of the mowing of weeds and grasses we've done in our plots over the years (without ever turning it into the soil) we've got a pretty thick thatch of dead grasses on the ground. This certainly doesn't help germination but it does help hold moisture in the soil and it protects quite a bit of the seed from turkeys.

Latest posts