Get Ready

Pilchard

For my stupid questions!

I'm going to try to turkey hunt for the first time this year. I'm sure I'll have a lot of dumb questions so please be patient.

My first question: why do turkey hunters get up and run to the bird after they kill it? Do the birds get up and run away on occasion?

Also, feel free to share any pointers or random thoughts for a beginner.

Setterman

Sometimes, and rarely the dang things seem to get a second life. They're dead but have incredible post death abilities.

They also beat the feather off themselves making an otherwise beautiful bird hideous.

If you hunt steep terrain they can launch themselves down the mountain making it brutal to climb back out

Personally I've had only one bird luckily get away. I blistered ones face, bird rolled over seemingly dead. Took my time walking to it, only to watch it stand up, neck broken and get enough air under its wings to sail into parts unknown. Still haunts me

Rakkin6

For my stupid questions!

I'm going to try to turkey hunt for the first time this year. I'm sure I'll have a lot of dumb questions so please be patient.

My first question: why do turkey hunters get up and run to the bird after they kill it? Do the birds get up and run away on occasion?

Also, feel free to share any pointers or random thoughts for a beginner.
-Call less than what you think you need to.

-When you are ready to get up and move wait ten more minutes

- This may sound simple but when you are walking and calling, make sure you got a place to setup before you call in case he is close and gobbles.

- Simple one also, but setup with the sun to your back.

- And this is just me but for safety reasons on public land whenever I am walking and calling I wear a blaze orange hat. Takes not time to throw it in the back of my vest when the time arrives.

woodsman04

Sometimes they don't flop a lot until you pick them up.
I don't run to them, but I do get up quickly and I grab them by the head and let them flop out. Pictures is one of my favorite parts of the experience. So I want his feathers good.

Also like setterman said, occasionally they will roll down a big hill and just not stop until they get to the bottom. I've had that happen a few times as well

PalsPal

If his head is up as you approach, shoot him again. Nothing worse than watching one fly or run off.

My best advice is to go with someone who can mentor you. Now, it would be easier if you have places to hunt. Many would go with you as a guide and not even carry a gun, and coach you through a whole hunt. It would greatly reduce the learning curve for you.

Actually, my best advice is to not pursue this addiction. It can take hold of a fellow.

Pilchard

If his head is up as you approach, shoot him again. Nothing worse than watching one fly or run off.

My best advice is to go with someone who can mentor you. Now, it would be easier if you have places to hunt. Many would go with you as a guide and not even carry a gun, and coach you through a whole hunt. It would greatly reduce the learning curve for you.

Actually, my best advice is to not pursue this addiction. It can take hold of a fellow.
Luckily I have a place to go with a few birds and lots of room to roam. I am perhaps even more fortunate that my friend scn has agreed to show me the ropes. With my work being so crazy lately I may only get to hunt one or two times and hope those days align with his schedule. Even if it doesn't work out, he has already been very kind in sharing advice on guns, shells, etc.

Pilchard

Don't take your wife's SUV through a muddy field. 😝

Here's my advice…don't go unless you are ok with getting addicted. The first time one gobbles so close it rattles your hat it's over. Nothing prettier coming at you than a big ole Tom in full strut spitting and drumming.
Ha! I won't.... I'll take my Accord instead. Luckily I am not afraid to walk and I'm fat so I could use the miles anyways.

Hduke86

PERMETHRIN PERMETHRIN PERMETHRIN, It's going to be warm and later in the season. You're going to be sitting in grass, tall brush, leaves. Lord help you if you get in a bed of seed ticks. I treat ALL OF MY CLOTHES with it down to boots, socks, inside pants leg, outside pants legs and same for the shirt. I also spray good bug repellent on my skin beforehand. Not a bad idea to bring a Thermacell to keep skeeters and gnats at bay while waiting.

Pilchard

Ok.... Next stupid question.

I don't want to shoot a jake. Being a novice, how do I make sure to avoid this?

I get that they don't have a long beard, are less likely to gobble(but might), etc. And I can certainly tell them apart if I can get a good look at the bird...

But, if I follow the advice I have read on here, like get behind a rise to make him crest it so he can't see where the call is coming from... I think you get the point.

Am I just supposed to remain patient and get a good look before shooting? Is there a distinct difference in the head of a jake vs a mature bird that I can immediately identify?

Gravey

Ok.... Next stupid question.

I don't want to shoot a jake. Being a novice, how do I make sure to avoid this?

I get that they don't have a long beard, are less likely to gobble(but might), etc. And I can certainly tell them apart if I can get a good look at the bird...

But, if I follow the advice I have read on here, like get behind a rise to make him crest it so he can't see where the call is coming from... I think you get the point.

Am I just supposed to remain patient and get a good look before shooting? Is there a distinct difference in the head of a jake vs a mature bird that I can immediately identify?
If he has a full fan kill him. I let one walk by a couple years ago with a short beard and thought jake. He walked off and about 70 yards started strutting and had a full fan. I started trying to call him back and did. Walked up to him after I killed him and he had beard rot. The ends of it will look like a rust color.

Boll Weevil

C0064795-Jake_Eastern_Wild_Turkeys.jpg

Full fan = even (vs having the those longer in the middle). These are jakes; stubby beard + uneven fan.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Use the terrain when setting up. You should be in a spot that when you see the bird he will be close enough to kill. If you can see 100 yards, so can he and if he don't see the hen that's been calling he will bust you 99% of the time. Make him poke his head over the hill and then pow wow

Gravey

That was where my latest question came from.... He sticks his head over the hill and I shoot him only to walk up and find a dead jake.... How do I avoid this?
Gotta wait to see the full fan or rope hanging off his chest. Most of the time a jake gobble sounds broken like a boy going through puberty although I have heard birds I'd have sworn were longbeards that were jakes.

Dennis

Jakes rarely come in alone. They like to hang in groups. Mature gobblers don't mind being alone, but they also can be in groips.

Latest posts