Game ears for hunting.

squirrel_hunter

Hi i have been looking at the walker game ears. And radian game ears for hunting. My hearing is damaged from work. Would the game ears help any? Do you want a pr with more than 1 mic?
I have seen them with 1 mic. 2 mic and 4 mic. I didn't know if more mic's would help or hurt. I would also use them turkey hunting. Thanks

41Magnum

I use the electronic muffs, Caldwell brand, not real expensive. They're ok but every 30-40 minutes I have to give my ears a breather. I've been looking at trying a different approach with some that fit the ear canal. These are around $400.00. Can't recall the name. Just do a google search. I currently wear hearing aids but I don't want to lose them or damage them from moisture if its raining, etc. plus I'm hunting with handguns equipped with muzzle brakes.

Trapper

I've got a set that I use, don't remember the brand but I really like them . But I still have really good hearing for the type of work I do .

Jon54

I'm a fan of the Walker ear muffs. I can't hear Thunder and it's amazing what you hear that you've been missing. They also keep my ears warm in the cold.

an old work associate started and owns Radian. He gave me a pair a number of years ago and sadly, they didn't last long.

squirrel_hunter

Thats what i was wondering. I also like the idea keeping my ears warm. Thats the part always gets cold first is my ears. Also hearing would help big time. I been looking at Walker's Game Ears razors. I think u can get a pr for 60.00. to 80.00.

Blockhouse

I tried hunting with electronic ear muffs after noticing how much better I could hear sharp noises like maybe footsteps in leaves. I have had trouble finding the sweet spot on volume to eliminate wind noise. On a dead calm day they work great though - huge improvement over old ears. You will hear things otherwise missed and directional problems are minimal. Unless it's windy - then the noise is tiring.

TheLBLman

Unless it's windy - then the noise is tiring.
Wind is a noisy issue, with or without the amplifying headsets.

When it's windy, I don't turn up the amplification as much,
but still find these headsets better than my naked ears
This is even more true on very cold, windy days, as instead of covering my ears with insulation, the headset keeps my ears warm, so my hearing is better, even if there were no amplification at all.

BSK

Although they're quite a bit more expensive than Walker hearing devices, I'm seriously considering the Tetra hearing aids. They have internal programming geared to the type/species being hunted and have sound suppression for gunshots. They were invented by two lifelong hunters that are also hearing care professionals. Talked to one TNdeer member who uses them and really likes them.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I bought a refurbished set of Walker's earmuff. They are good enough that I sometimes wear them in the house when I watch tv with the sound turned down low. They keep my ears warmer than a toboggan on cold days. The only negatives are wind noise on a windy day and I have a hard time identifying where the sound is coming from I am hearing. They do allow you to hear things you never could hear with your ears. I think my set was about 30.00. I got my money's worth with them.

Bone Collector

I can not get my stock weld right with the muffs. I bought some walkers buds that work well last year on sale. You can charge them on a USB plug they provide and it does enhance hearing a little bit but of course when you shoot it protects you.

SALTMAN

BSK , I have a set of Tetras and they are ok . Mine are supposed to be tuned for elk , but I can't tell much difference . Don't wear them much though . Actually wear walker muffs more and they do help keep ears warm , but wearing glasses is a pain because the muffs mash them against my knoggin and I have to take them off and rest . I intend to use the Tetras more , just never think of them ahead of time .

BSK

BSK , I have a set of Tetras and they are ok . Mine are supposed to be tuned for elk , but I can't tell much difference . Don't wear them much though . Actually wear walker muffs more and they do help keep ears warm , but wearing glasses is a pain because the muffs mash them against my knoggin and I have to take them off and rest . I intend to use the Tetras more , just never think of them ahead of time .
Thanks Saltman. Hawk has a pair of the Tetras (tuned for turkey) and really likes them. He says he can't believe how much he wasn't hearing turkey gobbling until he got the Tetras. But he says changing the batteries is a serious pain. Very tiny.

Omega

I've been using Howard Leights for years, after I evaluated a few other low cost options, and I have to say they are fantastic. And this last season I added the gel ear cups and I must say they are a must have. I have a set of Peltors that I got some gel ear cups from work and loved them, but it wasn't until last year that I found out someone was making them for the HL's, ordered that day. I don't know if the set listed above is the same model, but these are what I have and they are only about $10 more than when I got them years ago.

Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport
61fDdDukOJS._AC_SX679_.jpg

PROHEAR GEP02 Gel Ear Pads for Howard Leight
71Cef5AAJeL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Peltor, Tactical 65 Headset
71yNYNexydL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Rakkin6

I've been using Howard Leights for years, after I evaluated a few other low cost options, and I have to say they are fantastic. And this last season I added the gel ear cups and I must say they are a must have. I have a set of Peltors that I got some gel ear cups from work and loved them, but it wasn't until last year that I found out someone was making them for the HL's, ordered that day. I don't know if the set listed above is the same model, but these are what I have and they are only about $10 more than when I got them years ago.

Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport
61fDdDukOJS._AC_SX679_.jpg

PROHEAR GEP02 Gel Ear Pads for Howard Leight
71Cef5AAJeL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Peltor, Tactical 65 Headset
71yNYNexydL._AC_SX679_.jpg
I was going to suggest the Peltors also. I acquired a set of two over time. They work great.

squirrel_hunter

I bought a set radians 3200. Around 40.00 u can here the wind bad. I ordered some walkers xcel 500bt today. 4 different models of hearing and wind block Digital even has blue tooth.
Screenshot_20221017-081943_Chrome~2.jpg

Latest posts