FYI: Mid-South Duck Report

Taylor

Duck report from Memphis waterfowler Scott May:

Christmas rains fell and made 2009 the wettest year on record for Arkansas. Rivers are at flood and 1,000s of acres of cropland are under water.
I recently reported to you about my successful hunt on the White River near Augusta, last Sunday. Good thing I was there that day, because the same spot was hunted Monday and Tuesday, under similar weather and water conditions and the ducks had left. Monday and Tuesday a group of 4 hunters took only 7 ducks a day and did not see many.
Yesterday, I drove from Memphis to Augusta and back (on legal business) and did not see enough mallards along Hwy. 64 to fill 2 limits. I saw only one large group of snow geese and very few little ducks.
This was the same report I received from numerous locations from Weiner to Brinkley.
Face the facts, the ducks are just not in the mid-south in numbers we had hoped for, and were lead to believe should be here by now.
The gumbooters in the Mississippi Delta from Memphis to Webb are still singing the blues with few bright spots and few limits.
The only good news has been from northwest Tennessee. One of my Nashville readers has a blind on the Forked Deer and reports full limits for 10 straight days before Christmas.
We still have a month to chase the webfeet, so do not despair.
However, I advise that you get after them hard for the next 3 days, because starting Sunday night the lows will be in the mid-teens and highs only in the low thirties for at least 3 days. Get out your ice skates or your big river boats.
Happy New Year

Latest posts