Fried Fish

Grandslam11

Lets hear them recipes. I grew up on fried bream. We basically cut the heads off, pulled the guts out, scraped the scales off and used cornmeal,flower, salt, pepper and a grease bath. Anyone do anything different. Some people fillet their larger bream. Any pros/cons to that?
I drool at thinking back to grannies fried bream.

Os2 Outdoors

Grandslam11":wkacocht said:
Lets hear them recipes. I grew up on fried bream. We basically cut the heads off, pulled the guts out, scraped the scales off and used cornmeal,flower, salt, pepper and a grease bath. Anyone do anything different. Some people fillet their larger bream. Any pros/cons to that?
I drool at thinking back to grannies fried bream.
Then me an my brother would fight over who got to eat the crispy tails an fins!!

Nothing much better than whole fried bream in a cast iron skillet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mike243

I buy a breading called Runion at Okiees pharmacy in Maynardville,$40 for 40lbs ,great on any thing fried

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Bone in is definitely better.
In fact my dad wouldn't even consider eating a fillet due to it not having any flavor. LOL
Of course all we ever used for batter was corn meal.

I always use Andy's now, I just really like it.
Oh and I fillet all my bream. Only downside I guess is, you lose a little meat and you don't get the tail.
Upside for me is, I don't have to constantly worry about getting a bone in my throat.

WTM

for the last couple of years i have only been keeping 7-8" bluegill and smaller 10-11" crappie to eat and have been frying them whole. basic cornmeal and flour dredge, and sometimes cajun seasoning.

tip: if you sprinkle the fish with cajun seasoning before dredging in the coating, you get more flavor out of the seasoning.

i do filet some fish, especially drum and white bass for blackening.

Crow Terminator

My uncle used to cook trout better than any one. He finally revealed his secret to me.

Take the trout and simply cut the head, tail, and fins off. Of course gut it too. Leave the skin on or take it off...doesnt matter.

Ingredient wise....simple corn meal, salt, and pepper.

The secret was in what he cooked it with. He didn't use oil or Crisco.

He used bacon grease.

I had tried cooking them every which way I could find and never could get close to how they use to taste when he would cook them. The bacon grease was the missing key part.