Friction Calls....Discussion....

RussellvilleRob

What is your favorite friction call & why? I have never really been into slate or glass calls before this year...I have discovered some of the sweetest sounds coming from these things..I have a Power Crystal that has a really loud high pitched sound... What is a good one for calming and soothing purrs and real soft clucks?

A

Anonymous

I also have the power crystal. As long as it doesnt get wet or the end of the striker doesnt get to gummed up you will not be able to beat it. They by far sound the best from light called to the "turkey highball".

Setterman

I have two that are my go to friction calls. I have 30 I bet but have 2 that work, and work amazingly well. One is made by Darin Dawkins out of Rock Hill, SC it has an aluminum surface and is very sweet with a great breaking yelp. Deadly when birds want shy quiet hens.

The other is a call made by RJ Custom Calls out of GA, and it is also Aluminum. It is much raspier and breaks from a high end to a good rasp, absolutely deadly on hard gobbling birds which are really fired up.

I do use a slate some, but it isn't like any slate you can buy in a store, it is small (skoal can size), but deep probably 3 inches or more, the sound chamber is deep and it has a very subtle hollow yelp which is lethal on roosted birds.

SOme of the others I carry are a Woodhaven Vision Aluminum, and Vision Crystal. They are okay, but not nearly the grave diggers the others are.

Just my opinion, fwiw, but there is absolutely no comparison to the reactions I can get from aluminum versus every other surface out there. And not all aluminums are created equal, most are junk.