Freaking WIND

Pilchard

I tried most any anchor on the market, none of them worked to my satisfaction. My 50 lb one does. It is actually postal scale check weight. It was going to be tossed and I said I will take that. It measures about 10" x 10" x 8" tall and has a handle.

My ghost is my anchor now. Don't have to carry that 50 lbs with me anymore so long the ghost is working.
Oh, I see. I guess you were anchoring up and down. That can be quite dangerous especially in such a small boat. One wave over the bow and you're swamped. I was very much focused on the amount of rode and scope.

Headhunter

Oh, I see. I guess you were anchoring up and down. That can be quite dangerous especially in such a small boat. One wave over the bow and you're swamped. I was very much focused on the amount of rode and scope.
Never had an issue, not at all, even in current in the river. I always kept a fresh razor close to the anchor rope though.

Without an anchor, a huge amount of fish I have caught would not have been caught.

Headhunter

ghosts scare me. their customer service is terrifying.
Lowrance has been awesome with me. Make sure to ask for someone who speaks english. Don't talk to the people who answer who can't speak or understand english. I have had great customer service in the last couple years with Lowrance.

NumberOne

Lowrance has been awesome with me. Make sure to ask for someone who speaks english. Don't talk to the people who answer who can't speak or understand english. I have had great customer service in the last couple years with Lowrance.
haha shew if I was the one that couldn't speak English well enough for you, Id be like alright here is the newbie that's been here for 3.5 hours. Speaks perfect English though.

brassmagnet

One has to be very careful about stating that you hate wind, or rain, or snow, etc. All these things are created by the Hand of God. These things make us appreciate the calm days, green grass, or a warming spring. Hate is a strong word and we all should try to avoid it. I personally have used it many times but I have grown to see the error of my ways and I am trying to correct past wrongs. I judge no one, but at the same time, I do not want to see anyone condemned. Remember, we will have to answer for "every idle word".....a day that I am not looking forward to as I have said many things that I now regret.
Logic,..... you're coming here with logic,....., I thought this was Tndeer. I need more coffee. I always drug a wind sock on the Tennessee River bumping the bottom and caught more catfish than I wanted to clean. Up in the creeks you can get where the wind doesn't blow. That's where the crappie are hiding!!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
One has to be very careful about stating that you hate wind, or rain, or snow, etc. All these things are created by the Hand of God. These things make us appreciate the calm days, green grass, or a warming spring. Hate is a strong word and we all should try to avoid it. I personally have used it many times but I have grown to see the error of my ways and I am trying to correct past wrongs. I judge no one, but at the same time, I do not want to see anyone condemned. Remember, we will have to answer for "every idle word".....a day that I am not looking forward to as I have said many things that I now regret.
Awful deep thinking there.
I see what you are saying but I also know without a doubt I'm not going to hell because I said I hate wind.

atnvol

Awful deep thinking there.
I see what you are saying but I also know without a doubt I'm not going to hell because I said I hate wind.

Agree. Probably too deep, but I meant no harm and certainly not to you personally Ruger. I do hope the wind eases up for both our sakes. I do enjoy reading your posts Ruger. My apologies.

Last edited:

BuckWild

I have fished in some terrible wind and caught tons of crappie. I had a place on Sardis Lake in Mississippi for over 20 years.

In the spring you can count on getting wet and catching fish and if you wait for the wind to stop blowing, you can spend lots of time watching Maury Povitch and Oprah. I remember one trip where I took two guys from Missouri out to a spot because their 16 foot boat was too small for the waves. 15-20 mph constant dead out of the south. The three of us fished for 3 hours with my bilge pump running non stop because the waves were breaking over the front of the boat. We wound up with three limits in three hours out at Buzzards Roost, then had to cross the lake to get back to the ramp at Wyatt's Crossing.

I'm still friends with those guys today. LoL

My only issue with the wind is in the last ten years I've developed Dry Eye Syndrome and the wind absolutely kills my eyes. I can fish in the wind but I pay for it later.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
In the spring you can count on getting wet and catching fish and if you wait for the wind to stop blowing, you can spend lots of time watching Maury Povitch and Oprah.
That's the truth right there if it has ever been said.
I have a feeling I am gonna talk myself into going tomorrow.
I dread it though.

Headhunter

50 lb anchor

I haven't put a tape on it, but I believe it is 10" x 5" x 6" tall after just looking at it yesterday. I have plastic tote I kept it in.

Your boat does not move much after it is dropped. I have another cylinder that was a little bigger I carried in a 5 gallon bucket, I added #6 shot
til it weighed 45 lbs.

The 50 lb works the best and easier to handle since it has a "handle".

Attachments

• 50 lb.jpg
    50 lb.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts