Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler

keystonecop

Anybody here use or have one?
I bit the bullet an bought 1 from Midway USA
Hope it does what it's supposed to do.
Everybody on youtube seems to like em

Bad habit

Yeah. It is a pretty slick way to go. I have been tumbling about an hr and a half a load. Gonna try for an hr and see if it gives me the same results. This stuff looks like new....

Bad habit

Don't throw away your tumbler. I use clean untreated corncob media to dry the brass and tumble about 15 minutes after the stainless media. I found I was getting water spots and some corrosion letting everything air dry.

KPH

Got mine from STM. Best thing I ever did with reloading. When through rinsing, I blow the excess water out of the case with a air compressor, then dry the outside after that I either but them outside in the sun or in the oven. I don't think I have ever had water spots on a case.

DaveB

I tried building a home made wet tumbler and results are best left unpublished. The brass was wet so I just reversed hoses on my kenmore vaccuum and that did a fair job. But, since I own a compressor I figured I could blow them dry. Turn on compressor, grab a piece of brass, stick nozzle in brass squeeze handle and

POW. Brass flew out of my hand and smacked me right in the forehead.

TRIGGER

After I tumble and rinse I run them through the media separator wich removes a lot of the water as well as the pins. Then take the brass and dump it on a towel wrap it up and rub it all around then allow to dry under a ceiling fan overnight. The next day I put them back in the seperator again just to be sure no steel pins were stuck anywhere while wet. Works good for me.

TRIGGER

DaveB":3eu4hu5k said:
I tried building a home made wet tumbler and results are best left unpublished. The brass was wet so I just reversed hoses on my kenmore vaccuum and that did a fair job. But, since I own a compressor I figured I could blow them dry. Turn on compressor, grab a piece of brass, stick nozzle in brass squeeze handle and

POW. Brass flew out of my hand and smacked me right in the forehead.

Sorry but the mental image of that happening made me chuckle a little. Lol

DaveB

is okay, i deserve it, I somehow thought the compressor was my friend. I have a bunch of really good explanations but the one that fits the best is "I was just not thinking. Again". Now the "Can't fix stupid" thing was also running around in my head.

My liquid brass tumbler was a 2 liter coke bottle filled with water, some Dawn, and some citric acid to which I added a bunch of 30/06 brass and then after sealing rolled it around on the floor, shook it, and repeated every hour or so for about a whole day. IT didn't work bad until I tried to get the brass out. I finally uncased a filet knife and cut the bottle in two.

Then I had to rinse the brass and my wife thought I was really crazy to even think I was gonna use her colander.

So yeah. Some days my adventures deserve a laugh.

DaveB

Dollar store has plastic colanders cheap (get several of the largest) and buckets that you can fill with fresh water to rinse the brass.

I used to have a magnet for picking up stuff but my kids got hold of it and it has disappeared. If you have one, I understand they prove very helpful.

Start a thread and take lots of pictures.

KPH

DaveB":ewmsz3id said:
Dollar store has plastic colanders cheap (get several of the largest) and buckets that you can fill with fresh water to rinse the brass.

I used to have a magnet for picking up stuff but my kids got hold of it and it has disappeared. If you have one, I understand they prove very helpful.

Start a thread and take lots of pictures.
A magnet is your best friend when using a stainless tumbler.

Latest posts