Food plots are doing well but .............

RS

they need a few more drinks of water.

Because of the mast failure, I planted nearly every some-what open spot I could find.

100_2025.jpg

100_2029.jpg

100_2030.jpg

100_2031.jpg

100_2032.jpg

100_2033.jpg

100_2036.jpg

100_2037.jpg

100_2038.jpg

100_2039.jpg

100_2040.jpg

PickettSFHunter

wow looks great. mine look pretty good too but im probably going to add in some wheat before the next rain as a refresher. We have alot of acorns on my mananged place so mine are getting hit a moderate amount, whereas last year they were being hit very little because we had even more acorns.

BSK

Because of the mast failure, I planted nearly every some-what open spot I could find.

I did the same. Now without turned ground (which holds more moisture), my plots don't look as good as yours do RS, with the exception of my one bottomland (actually "valley") plot.

Luckily, the long-range weather models are looking a little better this morning. A cold front that had been forecast for early next and originally forecast as "dry" is now being forecast as a wet front. In addition, a significant rain is now forecast for the end of next week.

TAS

Now that's great news! All my annual plots I turned and then ran a disc through them but we have got no moisture for them to hold. Hopefully we will get some of that before it's too late.

Trapper John

They look good.

I sure hope that weather prediction is right. I've got 500 pounds of seed in the shed waiting to be spread and acres of land just dying to get wet.

BSK

Here's my one "valley" plot that is doing fantastic. It is oriented due north-south so it only gets hot sunlight for a couple hours a day near mid-day:

SouthClearCut.jpg

RS

BSK,

It's truly amazing how much better the valley plots produce as compared to the ridge tops. As of now, I only have one small valley plot and it has at least 4X more growth than the ridge plots (all were planted at the same time). I have only one more hollow on the farm that is wide enough to make a great linear plot. However, I first have to get the old-growth timber cut out of it.

gil1

RS said:
BSK,

It's truly amazing how much better the valley plots produce as compared to the ridge tops. As of now, I only have one small valley plot and it has at least 4X more growth than the ridge plots (all were planted at the same time). I have only one more hollow on the farm that is wide enough to make a great linear plot. However, I first have to get the old-growth timber cut out of it.
So what do you attribute this to? Less sun, more water? Interesting.

RS

gil1,

there's more soil moisture (the ridge tops dry out rather quickly) and the soils also tend to be more fertile in the bottoms.

BSK

RS,

Unfortunately, that is the only valley I have on the whole property "tillable" and it is only 15 yards wide. I sure would like more. The summer heat burns up my ridge-top plots even in a normal year. And that's why I let so many of my summer ridge-top plots purposefully "go to weeds" in summer. Weeds are naturally drought resistant and make a decent summer "food plot."

Boone 58

You know guys with this drought situation i may look at some low lying locations for next year for planting since most of ours are exposed fully to the sun and dry out in record time. In areas where we have more shade we have tremendous growth and green but where it is dry from long exposure we are almost dead. Too bad we arent in a rainy season we would be in excellent shape....as it is we are desperate!!

Stick'n'String

Yep looks like we should get wet tonight and tomorrow. I ran out this afternoon and thru out some DER seed in anticipation of getting watered in.

Latest posts