Food plot worklog

Tater

Beans are doing good. Still dont think the deer have found them but they will.

66do51l.jpg

543j6ac.jpg

5zq9u8n.jpg

RS

That looks really good Tater. If the deer haven't found it by now, it's hard to believe they will. Either that plot is surrounded by other ag crops or there is a low density of deer in your area. I have nothing left in my plots (partly due to the drought). The deer have even started eating the corn stalks.

Soybean Man

Plot looks great. These RR Forage types have the ability to make up for thin stands and will get over your head if you get enough rain. My plots here in Arkansas are at 4 feet tall now before the first irrigation. Combine the tonnage per acre and the late maturity and you will utilize your summer plot to it's full potential. If there are any soybean farmers in your area, they will have their soybeans harvested before you see any sign of maturing in the Big Fellow Soybean.

156p&y

looks great! I wish we had soil like that ours is rocky as hell. You plow a little and then drive the mule around the rest of the day picking them up so they won't destroy our equipment.

brickman

Soybean Man,

I'm around New Roads, Louisiana.
I don't have much property and I was trying to find "Old Mississippi"type (may not be correct) forage beans -with no luck? Not much interest here in the forage bean? Do you know why.
How does a (5) 1/2 acre plot guy like me get a forage bean? How late can you plant? First killing frost can be December?

Also...will the deer eat the leaves after frost?

Soybean Man

Brickman,
Soybeans were brought to the US as a forage crop. Over time, breeders have bred soybeans to produce more seed than forage. We have introduced and selected forage types and added the Roundup Ready gene. These include tall, bushy types and viny, runner types like Quail Haven. These are also late maturing which maximizes your summer plot attractiveness. Farmers are growing earlier soybean which allows them to harvest when fields are drier and require less tillage for the next crop. It used to be normal to harvest up to Thanksgiving and rut the crop out. In LA, you have a much longer season and can plant earlier and later than in the north. You can plant soybean through September, you will just have a shorter plant than planted earlier. Once frost hits green leaves, the leaves are not as tasty, until extreme cold temps hit. I will post some pics soon.

Soybean Man

What you will see with this forage type is a much larger leaf than standard soybean. Also, because it is a large structured plant, it has a larger root system and is able to scavenge for moisture. This is the reason the Hybrid system of corn, grain sorghum, and now rice have increased yields. The increased vigor of the plant produces a larger root system which can grow to soil nutrient reserves that are not utilized from a smaller root system.

Latest posts