Food plot worklog

Tater

I figured I would post a few pics of the in progress big fellow soybean plot. There is a strip of watermelons in the middle so their will be a strip with no beans (I hope).

The tools
chisel plow
5yanina.jpg

disc
4xmquxd.jpg

The plot
4ldbm8h.jpg

the yellow thing toward the back is a water cooler for a size ref.
630yu02.jpg

6gcfes9.jpg

The rain is moving in. I'm hoping it will be enough to beat them into the ground. If not I'll be dragging it sometime this weekend.

HOOK

Tater. You're supposed to plant those 1 to 2 inches beneath the soil. Will those grow just broadcasted? Keep us posted on your progress.

Tater

I was hoping the rain would beat them in ground.It was thundering and lighting but it didnt rain so I dragged the field the day after that was took.

Soybean Man

Hope you got your rain. We have had 2 inches here at the seed plant in the last 36 hours, but hardly any down the road. I have several research projects this year with soybean and corn and my new viny soybean that are all Roundup Ready. I will post some pictures soon. Nice chisel plow, did you make it or buy it?

stirrat

i dis the same thing. next year i will put them in my corn planter. came up good but corn in row planter came up better

Tater

I'm figuring the plot is a little less than an acre once you take out the middle where the watermelons are. I Planted one 50 LB bag of beans, the plan was to put some RR corn in the mix but cooperseeds was out. The beans in the lower areas have started coming and we got some good rain over the past couple of days so the rest should pop up. I bought the plow for $450 new. I think I got a good deal on it :) In hard ground it will stop the bota if i'm running it to deep. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Tater

They are coming up pretty good :)
5z733pj.jpg

The "rows" are from were the disc left a rut.
6309gqx.jpg

537dle8.jpg

4zwhhsz.jpg

I'm new to roundup ready beans. When do I need to spray them and how strong do I want the mix?

stirrat

what's all the other little stuff coming up? weeds or something else. i don't know about those beens and spraying but i would guess you would want to do it asap if those are weeds coming up

stirrat

probably would have been ideal to spray the heck out of that plot a couple times for the month prior to plowing.

woodchuckc

Looks like a pretty good crop of morning glories mixed in with your beans. Those square shaped first pair of leaves make it easy to identify morning glories when they come up. I made the mistake of tilling in a couple of truck loads of dried but not composted horse manure in my vegetable garden 4 years ago, and I am still battling the morning glories (apparently horses love morning glories, and the seeds pass through their digestive tract intact).

You definitely want to spray before those morning glories flower and produce seed, unless you are comfortable with having them in that field forever. The good news is that if they do get established the deer love them, probably as well or better than your beans.

The beans are looking good, BTW. I may have to try some next year myself.

Soybean Man

Tater, let all of the soybeans emerge and spray next week when the ground dries. Roundup Original Max or Weather Max at 22 oz. per acre or 32-40 oz. of Generic 41% Glyphosate. You can make more applications later as needed at any growth stage on RR soybean. Glyphosate will control big grass, but not as good on big broadleaves with one application. Glyposate has no soil activity, so it works best keeping it clean until canopy closure shades the ground. This is difficult in a poor stand with thin spots. Calibrate your sprayer to put out 10-20 gallons of water per acre for good coverage.

Tater

We had a problem with cocklebur's in this field so the morning glories would be considered a god send lol. I think the iron and clay kudzu errrr peas helped choke a lot of them out last year. Once the ground drys i'm going to hit with roundup and fertilizer.

Tater

For all those that own atv sprayers make sure drain the water out of them before it freezes :(. I had to replace the pump on mine. A 107 dollar lesson that I wont soon forget.

Here's a few pics of right before I sprayed, I didnt get to spray when I wanted to because of the busted pump so it is a little hairy.

6cy2gbb.jpg

4mkeq76.jpg

4yfjhue.jpg

I should be able to take some aftermath pics today.

Latest posts