Food Plot Questions??

Stick'n'String

With the drought killing most of our established plots and the lack of mast this season, I'm just wondering what most people are planting this year.

Seems to me that we should concentrate on annual plantings this season to make sure we have some quick growing forage during the hunting season. Is anyone else changing their planting mixes?

RS

The only new thing that I'm adding to my annual mix is winter rye (not ryegrass), I have not used it in my mix in several years, but it has good production which we will need this year. I also plan on planting heavier than past years.

I'm not quite sure what to do with my perennial clover/chicory plots. Right now there's nothing left but dirt. I'm hoping once we get some rain and the temps cool down, they will come back. It would be way too expensive to re-plant all my perennial plots plus the annual plots, so the plan is to overseed the clover plots heavy with wheat and hope the clover/chicory come back in. If not, I'll replant next year.

Stick'n'String

Robbie,

I was wondering if the clover will come back from root. Our perennial plots are toasted but I wasn't sure if they will rebound once we get some rain. They were lush this past spring but little clover was visible this weekend.

Daniel

RS

This is what one of my clover/chicory plots looked like last year in July........

9biologic4.jpg

biologic3.jpg

The same plot this year in July........

clover3.jpg

clover1.jpg

Anderson

I'd plant as much small grains (wheat, rye, oats) and brassicas as you can work in.

The clover/chicory plots may come back if you get some rain, but it sounds like you folks are having a vicious drought down there. Weather is not so bad up here in PA this year.

A rain dance is worth a try. Do it in front of a trail camera so you can share pictures here.

Latest posts